On Air Now
On Air Now

Student Officer Candidates 2018 Revealed, Plus Halls Naming Preferendum

Today the Guild announced 15 prospective student officers looking for your votes. With three of the four student officer team having served their two-year term, there are many new faces. Rory Hughes, one of the current Vice Presidents, is also standing for re-election.

The choice of prospective student officers is only one less than the previous year, and also offers a noticeable lack of male candidates- at least ten out of the fifteen are women or trans/nonbinary. This perhaps represents a student-led reaction to the controversy in the 2017 elections, which led to the first all-male student officer team in 35 years. Just two of the candidates ran last year, one being Hughes and the other Noura Qusairy.

Alongside the student officer vote, which will take place over the 5th to the 9th of March, voters will be asked whether or not they would prefer to change the name of Roscoe and Gladstone Halls. Roscoe and Gladstone made national news last semester after third year veterinary student Alisha Raitha began a petition to remove Gladstone’s name from the halls, suggesting that his links to the slave trade deemed him an inappropriate namesake. It is currently undergoing reconstruction as part of the rebuilding of Greenbank Student Village.

Feature Image Courtesy of Liverpool Guild Website

Ally Dinning
Head of Online News

More Articles

Tony Robinson at the Liverpool Literary Festival
Whenyoung Interview – 27/09/18
COMPETITION: Tom Zanetti & K.O Kane @ VK Electric Full Moon Party
Yonaka – Teach Me to Fight | EP review
Review: BBC Three’s ‘This Country’