Wed 19 Sep on LSRadio
LSRadio x BBC Radio 1
Scott Mills & Chris Stark

New schedule starts soon
Join us at Freshers Fair
Wed 19 Sep on LSRadio
LSRadio x BBC Radio 1
Scott Mills & Chris Stark

New schedule starts soon
Join us at Freshers Fair

Liverpool Strikes Could Continue as UCU Reject Pensions Deal

The Guild has confirmed on Twitter that there is likely to be a further fourteen days of industrial action on campus. They revealed this in the early hours of this morning, following the UCU’s reaction to the joint solution proposed on the 12th of March. This was after talks between the union and Universities UK.

The statement detailed UCU’s reasons for branding the deal “inadequate”, including that it would involve continued cuts, was only guaranteed for three years and asked staff to make up for the work and teaching days that had been lost (effectively asking them to work for free).

The University had previously sent all students an email suggesting that following this deal, the last day of strikes would be the 14th of March. However, because of the UCU’s rejection, the planned industrial action is due to continue to the end of this week and have a further fortnight added to it- although they underline that “it is seen as a last resort”.

Liverpool Guild of students is in support of the strikes, and announced in the statement that it was “so proud of the number of students that have actively engaged in the action”. It further urged Janet Beer to come out against the pension cuts to bring to an end any further industrial action.

Featured Image courtesy of geograph.co.uk

Ally Dinning
Head of Online News

More Articles

COMPETITION: Tom Zanetti & K.O Kane @ VK Electric Full Moon Party
Yonaka – Teach Me to Fight | EP review
Review: BBC Three’s ‘This Country’
University of Liverpool Men’s Rugby League – Angus Parkin, Captain : Interview