Review: BBC Three’s ‘This Country’

Now on its second series, this BBC Three mockumentary is probably the funniest thing on British television right now. An unexpected hit, the comedy has racked up an impressive four nominations at this year’s BAFTAs.

Real-life siblings Daisy May Cooper and Charlie Cooper are the stars and creators of this desperately honest comedy. Set in a small Cotswolds village, it follows Kerry and Kurtan, odd-ball cousins who will try anything to escape the monotony of country life.

We join the pair as they trudge through problems all too familiar to those who grew up in rural Britain. As we follow the duo and their eccentric fellow-villagers, the story is well-paced and organic. We are also afforded the privilege of encountering characters almost untouched by the technological advancements of the last decade.

Aside from providing pure comedic value, Kerry and Kurtan’s characters show immense growth over the episodes, and this is largely due to local vicar-turned-father figure, Reverend Francis Seaton. The vicar plays a large part in the pair’s emotional development; acting as their mentor. He teaches Kerry and Kurtan some of life’s most valuable lessons, like how to be kind, and how to grow cress.

Interestingly, the mockumentary format is tinged with reality as it presents the disenfranchisement of young people in rural communities. From unemployment to crime, there is a sense that this is a window into real peoples’ experience

That is not to say that this sitcom is serious in the slightest; the humour is remarkably authentic and incorporates perfectly chosen cultural references. From Turkey Dinosaurs to CompareTheMeerkat.com- this show truly has it all.

Watch series one and two of This Country on BBC iPlayer now.

Annie Owen

More Articles

Review: BBC Three’s ‘This Country’
University of Liverpool Men’s Rugby League – Angus Parkin, Captain : Interview
Liverpool Strikes Could Continue as UCU Reject Pensions Deal
Candidate Interviews – Student Officer Elections 2018
Student Officer Elections 2018- Who’s Been Voting So Far?