What’s on this Week: Philosophy in the Gallery Series

Ever wandered around a gallery and found yourself in a state of confusion, bewilderment or just generally not having the foggiest what it all means? Well fear no more; as part of the Philosophy in the Gallery series funded by the British Society of Aesthetics and in conjunction with the University of Liverpool, join two of our very own staff for an insight into the meanings behind the art and discussions around the issues such works bring up.

Open Eye Gallery, Tuesday 2nd December, 6pm-7pm

– Robert Heinecken: Lessons in Posing Subjects 

First up is Dr Panayiota Vassilopoulou, senior Philosophy tutor at the University and philosopher in residence at the Bluecoat, looking at photography and aesthetics alongside the Heinecken exhibition currently on show at the Open Eye. One of the most influential post-war American photographers, over 250 of Heinecken’s Polaroid’s are on show in a UK first. A ‘para-photographer’ who rarely used photographic apparatus, exploring the notion of photography as an expanded field of experimentation, this exhibition is not to be missed for anyone interested in pop or conceptual art and photography! Join Dr Vassilopoulou in an exploration of his work and how it fits into the wider schemes of instant image making and mechanical reproduction. It’s free, so there is no excuse to exercise your artistic curiosity!

Reserve your place now at:

http://openeyegallery.enstore.com/item/philosophy-in-the-gallery

Tate Liverpool, Thursday 4th December, 5.30pm-7pm – Transmitting Andy Warhol

Join our very own University of Liverpool PhD student Joanna Straczowski, as she discusses the work in the Transmitting Andy Warhol exhibition. Whether an art aficionado or not, everyone has heard of Warhol or will at least recognise his renowned Campbell Soup Imagery and Pop-Art rhetoric. Warhol used mechanical reproduction techniques and mass media imagery to remove any trace of the ‘artist’s touch’ from his works, radically changing the way we think about the role of the artist in the process of artistic production. Joanna will be looking at such issues like what happens to art when the artist is ‘not present’ in their work and whether, in an age of mechanical reproduction, artworks are more than surfaces? Discover the man who changed the modern art world in what will be an interesting and insightful talk.

Cost: £5 / £3 concessions

Booking essential

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-liverpool/talks-and-lectures/philosophy-gallery-transmitting-andy-warhol

Words: Katie Tysoe

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.

More Arts & Culture

Rick & Morty Season 3 Review: The Darkest Timeline?
Roy Lichtenstein – In Focus
Fresher’s Guide to Liverpool
A Midsummer Night’s Dream @ The Epstein Theatre // 25th April 2017
Interview with Christopher Kline // Director of O.K. – The Musical