Spotlight On….. Liverpool University Music Society

10153950_809481412414132_1148115144_n

My name is Laura and I am currently in my first year studying law. When I am not hard at work studying, my great passion is playing the cello, which I have been doing so for around 12 years. On coming to University, I immediately jumped at the opportunity to join the Music Society.

Probably one of the biggest societies in the University, Liverpool University Music Society caters for all – from beginners to the more advanced musician and as such there is bound to be something for everyone, whether you play an instrument or are just interested in music! Within the society there are a variety of groups including the Symphony Orchestra, University Singers and Concert Band and the opportunity to set up new ensembles when an idea springs to mind.

The society holds a variety of concerts throughout the year to showcase all of their ensembles, many of them are free to attend! I took part in a small concert last semester which consisted of the Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, University Singers and Chamber Choir and also went to watch the special Christmas concert in the beautiful Stanley Theatre in the Guild. In the next couple of months more concerts will be held across campus involving all of the amazing ensembles the society has to offer, so be sure to keep an eye out!

I joined the society purely because I love music and wanted to carry on playing the cello in an ensemble like I used to do in my home town. For years now I have been playing within the same orchestras and singing in the same choirs and wanted to experience joining something new and exciting. I’m involved in the Symphony Orchestra and this semester I joined the University Singers as well. Having regular rehearsals with like-minded musicians is a great break from the work that comes with my degree and has given me the opportunity to discuss joining up with other musicians and the many possibilities to start new projects outside of University.

Every experience I’ve had in the society so far has been a memorable one. From the Halloween Social to waiting back stage before my first ever concert with a new orchestra. I’ve always enjoyed playing music and I learn something new every time I play, whether it’s a new piece or a new technique. Aside from this, everyone is there for the same reason: to play music. Making it one big happy musical family!

Since it is a big society you won’t meet every member from every ensemble, but that really doesn’t matter. You get to know everyone in whichever ensemble you join and I’m always meeting new people at the socials and events. It’s got a variety of students from courses across the university and it was exciting on my first orchestra rehearsal to find myself sat next to a cellist who also studied law. It doesn’t matter what musical ability or grade you have or whether you think you are a bad singer, it is one big community where everyone can fit in! It is the perfect society for any who has a love for music and doesn’t want that love to disappear whilst their degree is in motion.

Check out LUMS on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/lumusoc

Laura Copestake
Laura Copestake is a student at the University of Liverpool.

More Arts & Culture

Akram Kham’s Giselle
‘Coming Out: Sexuality, Gender and Identity’ Exhibition
BoJack Horseman Season 4 Review
Rick & Morty Season 3 Review: The Darkest Timeline?
Roy Lichtenstein – In Focus