Dropout Radio
Dropout Radio

Top 10 Picks: February
Photo Credit: The Bluecoat

Photo Credit: The Bluecoat

Listening: A Hayward Touring Exhibition
The Bluecoat // Until 29 March 2015

We all like to describe ourselves as good listeners, as someone who can lend an ear, but do we truly listen? This exciting and accessible exhibition Listening focuses on the act of ‘listening’ itself, rather than merely the subject of what is being listened to, within contemporary visual art. It examines the crossover between the visual and aural, where visitors can expect to be both surprised and arrested, as they are guided around a variety of works that are playful and affable. Explore and expand your aural horizons by eavesdropping on a cabin in the forest, discover the sound of a dying star and attend the inaccessible disco. Presented through a variety of media; from drawings and print to video and sculpture, head down to the Bluecoat and test your listening capabilities.

Join head of Programming at the Bluecoat, Marie-Anne Quay on an exhibition tour 21 February 2015.

Photo Credit: FACT

Photo Credit: FACT

Love is All: 100 Years of Love and Courtship

FACT // 17 February 2015 / 6pm

Renowned feminist Director Kim Longinotto created this documentary in just 8 weeks, trawling through many archives to explore the progress of love and courtship through the 20th Century and beyond. Featuring documentaries and newsreels that reveal the changing landscape across gender and racial boundaries, this film gives a greater insight into what we call ‘love’ and the issues that surround it. With a soundtrack by Sheffield singer-songwriter Richard Hawley, explore what will be an interesting and well-produced documentary at FACT, all for a mere £7 (as a member).

Photo Credit: FACT

Photo Credit: FACT

Place, Pornography and Paranoia

FACT // 18 February 2015

In light of a new upcoming exhibition, Group Therapy: Mental Distress in a Digital Age, this day of experimental workshops explores technology, art and mental health. By young people and for young people, it includes experimental film-making, a discussion with artists who use pornography in their practice and an evening of music, poetry, comedy and prose. Delve into this current and controversial topic whilst gaining new skills and a greater insight into the work of contemporary artists.

Photo Credit: Royal Standard

Photo Credit: Royal Standard

BamBamBam #3 Exhibition PV

The Royal Standard // 20 February 2015 / 6 – 9pm

Your last chance to catch an original exhibition as studio artists host 21 innovative exhibitions in as many days. As fresh lemonade, artists who practice through different mediums are able to experiment, collaborate and perform in an unpressured environment. This week’s artist’s include: Mike Aitken, Ellie Barrett, Joseph Hulme, Elizabeth Flanagan McCormick, Marianne McGurk, Rachel Marcroft, Flis Mitchell, Theo Vass and Brandy and Bailey’s Filthy RnB Droppin’ Eagle Time. Fun and playfulness is guaranteed, embrace the venture and head on down – I dare you!

Photo Credit: Everyman

Photo Credit: Everyman

Macbeth

The Everyman // 17 February 2015 – 21 February 2015

Explore Shakespeare like never before, as Filter Theatre Productions updates the classic story of betrayal, power and corruption with a psychedelic twist, that infuses innovative sounds and music with a kaleidoscope style set that will take you on a strange journey to the centre of the ‘heat-oppressed brain.’ What’s more, you don’t have to be an English Literature student to truly enjoy this production as it makes a great introduction for newcomers to Shakespeare. Guaranteed to both dazzle the ear and enchant the mind, be sure to add Macbeth to your literary repertoire! Tickets from just £12.

Photo Credit: Liverpool Echo

Photo Credit: Liverpool Echo

Chinese New Year

Various Locations // 22 February 2015

It’s the Year of the Goat, and Liverpool as an official cultural capital, celebrates the traditional festival of Chinese New Year with a host of activities for you to get involved with. Sample traditional Chinese cuisine and visit the markets for unique gifts on George Street, check out the Dragon and Lion street parades on Berry Street and watch the firecracker display in Great George Square where you will be greeted by the ‘Lucky Man’ giving out red envelopes full of surprises. The Pagoda Arts Centre will also be displaying their annual Chinese New Year exhibition with music, arts and crafts, painting and calligraphy. Embrace this great cultural tradition and may the Year of the Goat be your luckiest yet!

Philosophy in Pubs

Bluecoat // 24 February 2015 / 1pm – 2.30pm

Debate the key issues with The Bluecoat’s resident philosophers and expand your way of thinking. Great for beginners or fully-fledged philosophers, engage in a comfortable environment where asking questions is encouraged! The discussion of Nietzsche over a pint will be sure to impress friends, family and potential mates.

Photo Credit: Lorenzo Vitturi (Open Eye Gallery)

Towards a New Japan: A Talk with Mark Feustel

Open Eye Gallery // 25 February 2015 / 6pm

Japanese photography is rather a niche discipline, but one which expert, curator and author Marc Feustel advocates, as his exhibition Metamorphosis of Japan After the War explores the post-war period in Japan, in which increased democracy led to a burst of  photographic creativity and expression. Join Marc Feustel as he talks about the wealth of photographic talent beyond the West and contemporary approaches to photography as well as the latest generation of Japanese photographers will be looked at. A great opportunity for anyone interested in history, photography or Japanese culture.

Photo Credit: Capstone Theatre

Photo Credit: Capstone Theatre

Liverpool International Jazz Festival

The Kazimier – Capstone Theatre // 26 February 2015 – 01 March 2015

We all love jazz, whether we admit so or not, our guilty pleasure can be fully let loose in Liverpool’s new contemporary Jazz Festival, in which a range of acts will be performing across the Kazimier and Capstone Theatre. If you are willing to splash the cash, check out: GoGo Penguin an outfit that embraces techno, Troyka – for all your post-dance, post-rock needs and James Taylor Quartet the best Hammond player of our time. Free events are also available, with Svara Kanti who blend jazz with Indian improvisation as one not to be missed. Don your best trilby and prepare to scat.

Photo Credit: Unity Theatre

Photo Credit: Unity Theatre

Fiction

Unity Theatre // 27 – 28 February 2015

A new show by David Rosenberg and Glen Neath, part of the Fuel Company who are an exciting and central producing outfit deliver Fiction an experience of the surreal, the avant-garde and the dream-like. An immersive audio encounter in complete darkness, prepare for an anxious journey through dreams and empathy, or a 60 minute nap, all for £10. Nevertheless, guaranteed to be an adventure like no other, drifting into your deep consciousness and travelling through a surreal possibilities. Not for the fainted hearted, engage in this avant-garde happening, if you can take the challenge! #FictionTour

Katie Tysoe
LS Radio's Arts and Culture Editor. Studying an MA in Arts, Aesthetics and Cultural Institutions. Big-time 80's enthusiast. @katiemarietysoe

More Arts & Culture

People, Places and Things
Akram Kham’s Giselle
‘Coming Out: Sexuality, Gender and Identity’ Exhibition
BoJack Horseman Season 4 Review
Rick & Morty Season 3 Review: The Darkest Timeline?