Interview: Xander and the Peace Pirates

‘It’s not about us, it’ about everyone, and that’s what we hope to represent, that we can bring people together and unite people in a positive way.’

So the last few weeks I have been introduced to and emerged in the sound of the guitar band Xander and The Peace Pirates. I had the pleasure of interviewing these fab lads a few weeks before their launch show at The Cavern Club on the 20th of November. I spoke to Keith who plays the guitar and lead vocals, Stu who plays guitar and Mike who plays slide guitar and co-produced the album.

The band spoke to me about their album 11:11 (which was released on the 11/11/2016), about the early days of their band and what spiraled them to be where they are now, as well as speaking about some of the inspiration behind their music and their musical influences. Keith stated that the main inspiration behind the creation of the album was to become ‘more conscious of our actions‘ and to ‘become more balanced‘. All the members of the band spoke about how their love for music started in their teens. Mike talked about his Mum listening to music such as Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and The Beatles. Keith went on to say musically they are inspired by lots of American music such as Derek Trucks, Prince, Lenny Kravitz, Doyle Bramhall, Stevie Ray Vaughn etc.

‘When we were thinking about doing the launch, there was no doubt it would be at The Cavern Club.’

The band spoke about their time being a resident band at the Cavern Club for about 5 years. The band had their album launch at the Cavern Club on the 20th of November, stating it was an obvious choice with it being an ‘awesome venue’. The band had lots of positive things to say about Liverpool as a city stating; ‘there’s a great music scene and musicians in Liverpool support and look out for each other’.

What I really got from the interview was the band’s aim to challenge the idea of war and peace through their music. Keith and Stu both talked passionately about how peace is something you find within yourself rather than on a battlefield. This message stood out to me the most and is really shown best through their music; especially the track titled ‘Dancing with the Devil’.  Keith spoke about the way that our society uses war to try and bring about peace, like ‘Screwing for virginity’ and ‘through music you can create something visually and sonically you can’t in a conversation’. Overall the band aim to unite and bring people together in a positive way through their music.

I really look forward to really exploring Xander and the Peace Pirates new album and following the band through their future ventures. Visit their website here where you can listen to their music, view their gallery and shop! And if you fancy having a listen to the full interview you can here:

Grace Dutch

More Interviews

Mike Watson Interview – Coffee House Session 10/10/17
Interview with Christopher Kline // Director of O.K. – The Musical
Interview: Maximo Park
Interview: Mollie Marriott (09/04/17)
Interview: Palace (11/04/17)