Pete & Steph: North-South Divide
Pete & Steph: North-South Divide
Vaults Interview – 06/01/17

On the 6th of February, I was lucky enough to get the chance to interview the lovely Blythe Pepino from the amazing London based, electropop band Vaults after their sold-out performance at The Deaf Institute in Manchester.

I was excited yet nervous to meet Blythe, her striking and unique vocals mixed together with electro music, creates a mesmerising and ethereal sound truly individual to Vaults.

I spoke to Blythe about how Ben, Barney and herself became this trio, as well as Blythe’s early interest in music, she stated that her influences range from ‘classical to folk to jazz, through to pop rock and indie and electronica’ and artists like ‘PJ Harvey, Kate Bush and Radiohead’ and her favourite album currently is from electroindie duo Niki and The Dove.

We spoke about Vaults new album, titled ‘Caught in Still life’ which was released in December last year and Blythe mentioned that since the album has been released she’s been blown away by how many people are aware of them and wanting to chat them. Blythe talked about the song ‘Paradise’ and how when she performs this track it ‘sweeps her off her feet’ and is her favourite song to perform. Blythe said that the album has no overall message or theme, the album involves dark events and moving through them.

One interesting topic that we spoke about was Vaults featuring on the John Lewis Christmas Advert. The song a cover of Randy Crawford’s ‘One Day I’ll Fly Away’ was recorded in the Abbey Road Studio, Blythe described this experience as ‘amazing’ and ‘mind-blowing’, performing this emotive piece with an 150 piece orchestra made her ‘hairs stand on end’.

Their debut album ‘Caught In Still Life’ is available to download now on Spotify and ITunes.

Grace Dutch

More Interviews

Interview with Christopher Kline // Director of O.K. – The Musical
Interview: Maximo Park
Interview: Mollie Marriott (09/04/17)
Interview: Palace (11/04/17)
Interview: Circa Waves