Dropout Radio
Dropout Radio
Coffee House Sessions: Tom Prior

On Monday, the 6th of March, LSRadio had the chance to sit down for a chat with the talented Tom Prior. He was in town as part of his Coffee House Sessions tour which took him across the nation to university coffee shops and bars for 16 shows in 7 days, often performing 2-3 shows in the same day.

At first glance looking quite tough and intimidating, nonchalantly chewing gum in an all black outfit and slicked back blond hair, he couldn’t have been more lovely to talk to!

Speaking of the tour, which saw him performing acoustically accompanied by nothing but his piano, he said that it had been challenging. In addition to the hectic schedule, waking up in the early hours of the day as well as driving himself and his gear across the country, he is not really a fan of acoustic sets. The Coffee House Sessions tour, however, provided the right environment and a good reason to do something he normally wouldn’t particularly enjoy. You certainly couldn’t tell from looking at him on stage!

Tom most recently released three different versions of his EP ‘The Sunday Scene’. When asked what prompted him to do so, he took us through the process of turning the original songs acoustic while remaining authentic for the unplugged version, and wanting to collaborate with different artists after having spent too much time on his own, resulting in the Lock In Sessions, which he has definite plans to do again, hence the Vol.1 in the name.

Coming from a background of hip-hop and grime to now doing acoustic sets, it is evident from listening to Tom’s music that he is an expert at effortlessly and sometimes rather unexpectedly combining different genres. Talking us through his approach to songwriting, he revealed that he has about three thousand torn up bits of paper with lyrics on them in his bag at all times, which he then uses as starting points to turn into songs in the studio.

Listen to the full interview below to hear Tom recounting his journey from his first daunting radio experience on BBC Radio 1’s Live Lounge with Naughty Boy to getting signed by Island Records after a bad production deal and what he has been up to since, what he has to say to all the budding singers/songwriters out there, as well as what music he himself has currently been listening to.

Check out all three versions of Tom’s most recent EP on Spotify, give him a follow on his social media pages, and keep an eye out for more from him in the future!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tompriorofficial

Twitter: https://twitter.com/tompriormusic

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tompriormusic/

Coffee House Sessions brings a new artist to the Courtyard at the Guild every Monday at 2.30pm!

Erli Kasikov

More Interviews

Sylvan Esso Interview – 10/11/17
Shazia Mirza Interview – 2/11/17
The Rah’s Interview – 4/10/17
Kris Evans Interview – 27/10/17
JoAnna Lee Coffee House Session Interview – 31/10/17