Interview: Palace (11/04/17)

Ahead of their gig at Buyers Club, we head down to the venue and enjoyed a brew with the lads from Palace.

The London rock and blues band is made up of Lead singer and guitarist Leo, bassist Will, Drummer Matt and gutarist Rupert.

The lads let us in on how they formed many years ago jamming and writing a few songs in a small studio in Camden and unintentionally rising to their fame. As well as their experience being recognised by Jamie T and supporting him in 2015 with Matt explaining how cool it was for them to be a part of everything happening around that time of Jamie’s comeback album and tour.

After just finishing their European tour the band shared with us how it was for them performing in places such as Spain and Italy for the first time and the overwhelming reception they received; with personal highlights in Spain, Zurich in Switzerland and Germany. The band also reflected on their previous visits to Liverpool, expressing how excited they were to be back and their love for the late Kazimier (RIP).

Talking about their debut album ‘So Long Forever‘, they spoke about what it was like recording and how song such as ‘Holy Smoke‘ came about. Touching upon the artwork for the album, Leo exclusively lets us in on a few hidden messages in the artwork; created by his younger brother there are elements to it relating to certain songs on the album, for example – a lemon for ‘Bitter‘, a firework for ‘Fire in the Sky‘ and smoke for ‘Holy Smoke‘.

We also spoke about their eventful summer packed with festival appearances and their monthly free event nights called ‘Palace Presents’ at the George Tavern in London, there were even some jokes about baking me a cake for my birthday on the night of their huge gig at Shepherds Bush in London on 27th April (I’m still holding them to this…).

A great chat with a genuinely lovely bunch of guys, if you haven’t already listened to them I’d highly recommend you to do that right now! I promise you won’t regret it!

Palace’s debut album ‘So Long Forever‘ is out now and available to listen and download via Spotify, iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and other various outlets.

Listen to the full interview here:

Alice Pearce

More Interviews

Interview with Christopher Kline // Director of O.K. – The Musical
Interview: Maximo Park
Interview: Mollie Marriott (09/04/17)
Interview: Palace (11/04/17)
Interview: Circa Waves