Marie White – Coffee House Session 21/11/17

Last week I had the opportunity to speak to the amazing Marie White straight after her gig for the Coffee House Sessions at the Liverpool Guild of students. This was an exciting tour for Marie, as she has never really ventured out of her home town of Hastings to perform her music!

The 22-year old’s quirky style really shone on stage, wearing her odd shoes and bright socks accompanied by her guitar! Her individual style and down-to-earth presence definitely translated later on in our conversation. Her performance consisted of mostly orginal songs, a brave move, but one that definitely paid off! After her gig we then had a good old chat about the tour itself, her experience performing in front of a new crowd, which Marie commented on being massively different from her loyal fan base at home, all in preparation for the anticipated release of her first single ‘I want to know you’.

This song happened to be one of my favourites in her set, and Marie commented on the very personal nature of it, a factor which she says must be present to be able to write. So personal experiences- such as emotions or her girlfriend really inspire the content of her music.

Marie was very modest, and reluctantly described her genre as soulful and I added that a few of her songs rang similar to Ed Sheeran’s music with a funky edge, which I think she was pleased with!

In terms of plans after the Coffee House Sessions, easy-going Marie hopes to see how the single will go down, but long-term would like to make a living out of being a solo artist. Personally I would love to see her perform at a few music festivals over the summer, as I think she will be really well-received.

You can listen to the full interview below, where Marie reflects on her past busking days, her musical inspiration and some funny experiences in her current cover band! She was a dream to interview and we hope to see her again in Liverpool soon.

Check out her Facebook and Twitter.

Coffee House Sessions brings a new artist to the Courtyard at the Guild every Tuesday at 2.30pm!

Meg Di Girolamo

More Interviews

An Interview with Ollie Locke – 1/12/17
AMiR – Coffee House Session 28/11/17
Tiggi Hawke – Coffee House Session 14/11/17
Sylvan Esso Interview – 10/11/17