On Air Now
On Air Now
Coffee House Session- Joel Rothwell 23/11/18

Q: Now that your Coffee House Sessions have finished, how do you think they went?

Joel said the tour has been a really good experience, as he has seen how people react to his new music – I could see many positive reactions in the Guild from people hearing his songs live for the first time.

Q: What is the story behind your first released song, Beautiful Monsters?

Joel said that the song has been in the woodworks for a few years, the initial idea was from the line; ‘She’s got a temper’. This story was built around this idea, about a girl having issues, but you choose to stick by her no matter what other people say because you’re in love with her. This simple idea has finally seen the light, after other songs being in the way in the past. But after some editing over the summer, the song was finally released this month.

Q: Tell us about your newly released song Satellite, coming out on the 7thof December.

This song has a similar story, looking out for that person; which is something everyone can relate to. Also, Just Don’t Knowis a new song that was released on the day of Joel’s performance, available on Spotify now – I highly recommend.

Q: Going back to the roots, how did your passion with music begin?

From day 1, back to his earliest memories when he was 4 years old. Joel remembers being in the back of his sister’s car, crying if his favouriteband, Busted, wasn’t played on the way to school. Then, as he got older he would watch different acts play at the Manchester Arena. His passion all grew from then, he knew straight away he wanted to get into music – always singing and pretending to be on stage.

Him and his eldest sister have written songs together since he was 15, and continue to do so to this day. Now, all the songs they have worked together on are finally coming to light.

Q: Who are your musical inspirations?

Maroon 5, Justin Timberlake, Busted – Joel tries to take inspiration from a range of artists from all different genres.

He then went on to name his top 5 albums – Busted, Justin Bieber’s – Purpose, Post Malone’s – Beerbongs & Bentleys, 50 cent – The Massacre and Eminem.

Q: Finally, what are your aspirations for the future?

Big things coming – with more songs and a support tour coming next year. But, his big dream is to one day sell out his own world tour; which if he continues the way he is, I could definitely see happening.

Charlotte Howard

More Interviews

INTERNATIONAL POLITICS HOUR: CLIMATE CHANGE
MIA AND MEGAN CAUGHT UP WITH TOM GRENNAN – 20/10/2018
Matt Carstens- Coffee House Sessions 19/10/18
The Husky Loops – 26/10/2018