Kat’s 60 Minute Mix
Kat’s 60 Minute Mix

LSRadio Introducing #3 – Stealing Sheep

Stealing Sheep are a female trio from Liverpool. Becky, Emily & Lucy, armed with Casio keyboards and Yamaha synths, create lo-fi atmospheric pop that evokes the 1960’s of hippies and the velvets.  Swirling guitars, hypnotic beats and beautifully quirky harmonies, Stealing Sheep are fresh in their approach of utilizing past trends and taking inspiration to create something totally left-field and new. Recording songs in abandoned buildings here in Liverpool using retro cassettes and experimental recording techniques, they create warm layered and at times, eerie sounds. The band released their debut ‘Noah and the Paper Moon’ only a year after forming, which suggests this is a band with a clear vision and the impetus to make things happen.

The highlight of their glistening debut album comes courtesy of lead single ‘I Am The Rain’, which with its downbeat percussion and mesmerising vocals is a cleverly worked cross between modern indie folk stalwarts Fleet Foxes and classic Nico era Velvet Underground. These types of reviews always beg for more contemporary comparisons (a file next to section maybe?), however Stealing Sheep seem to me, simply too unique and in their own magical and mystical world to be bracketed alongside other far more bland nu-folkies.

Stealing Sheep’s debut LP ‘Noah & the Paper Moon’ is out now on iTunes and available on vinyl and other physical formats from Probe Records (Liverpool).

The band play the Kazimier in Liverpool on 8th March 2012.

By Leo Gibbons-Plowright

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17