Soundcity Sessions // Episode #1 – All We Are

For the second year, LSRadio and LSFilm have teamed up to produce a series of sessions with local artists in the run-up to Merseyside’s biggest music festival, Liverpool Soundcity. Over the next four weeks we’ll be releasing four exclusive acoustic sessions with some of the most exciting acts to come out of the city over the last year, all of whom have earned slots at the prestigious music festival. With it’s reputation for championing emerging talent and record label and music press presence high over the three days of live performances, Soundcity is an opportunity for local acts to play to an audience of influential tastemakers in the modern music industry. 

Our aim with this series of Soundcity Sessions is to encourage interest in the local music on offer at the festival. First on our list of must-see acts at this year’s Soundcity…the superb All We Are. 

It’s not often that a band have a European tour booked before their first practice, but with members already well established and respected on Merseyside as individual musicians in their own right, the prospect of a collaboration between Rich, Luis and Guro was enough to prompt Stealing Sheep to invite the three-piece to join them on their jaunt around mainland Europe in June 2011. After two weeks of constant rehearsal, All We Are headed out on tour with a set of beautifully constructed alternative folk tinged with psychedelia and enough delicate harmonies to make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end.

Since their dramatic inception the band have quite rightly earned a reputation as a hard working collective, honing their sound, recording and producing their own demos, shooting, editing and releasing their own videos. The hard work has clearly paid off as the release of new EP, We Hunt, sees the band’s sound blossom into an altogether more expansive offering. The simple drums and three part harmonies give All We Are an aesthetic bordering on tribal, whilst the influences of traditional folk and more experimental psychedelia remain clear. In a live setting, Rich, Guro and Luis have proved unparalleled, with a sense of uncontrollable euphoria accompanying the few gigs they’ve played in Liverpool to date, a characteristic perhaps best captured in the glorious swelling guitar loops of session trackGo. 

Despite the release of We Hunt  the band show no signs of relenting from their intense work ethic, with new material already in the pipeline and another European tour scheduled for the hazy summer months. This is a band with the drive and motivation to make things happen themselves and the creativity and skill to produce ethereal pop songs destined for bigger things.

Catch them, while you can, on Thursday 17th May, 9pm @ Leaf (Bold Street) as part of Soundcity. Or head down to their EP launch, Saturday 28th April, 7pm @ St Brides Church I’d recommend both.

Until then you can stream We Hunt for free on http://soundcloud.com/thisisallweare

Next week our Soundcity Session comes from the seemingly unstoppable Ninetails. Visit LSRadio.co.uk next Wednesday to see the band perform an exclusive version of their new single, Blue Bottle Flu, live for LSRadio & LSFilm.