The Jolly Hour
The Jolly Hour

Circus X- Laurent Garnier presents LBS Live, feat. Julio Bashmore, Yousef and more.// The Masque/ 1.12.12

Well that certainly was a busy week in Liverpool for music, what with acts like the critically acclaimed Purity Ring playing the Kazimier and Fallen Paradise’s EP launch, with support from Liverpool University’s own Soho Riots. Topping off the week however was the last ever Laurent Garnier presents LBS Live for Liverpool at Circus, and the Masque was the perfect venue for this send off.

I guess the biggest complement I can make about the night is that I can’t really remember where one set ended and the others began, so seamless was the flood of House and Techno from tonight’s DJs. Having said that, over the last 25 years Laurent has been a constant driving force in French House music, and their certainly has been A LOT of French House around for the last decade or so. Over the last 8 years he has put on regular live shows in Liverpool, but he has sadly decided to call it a day. His blend of top class DJing and performance have been increasing influential in electronic music of late, carrying the torch for the Acid House scene that’s inspired him so.

The atmosphere for Circus-signee Yousef on the main stage was something else entirely. His set was jam packed of house treats, and the sweat drenched audience lapped it up ‘til the wee small hours. Also playing the night was man-of-the-moment Julio Bashmore, whose anthemic ‘Au Seve’ sound- tracked summer 2012 (well what little summer we had), so obviously he was only ever going to absolutely nail it at Circus.

/Laurence Cheeseman