Kat’s 60 Minute Mix
Kat’s 60 Minute Mix

LSRadio X Sound City 2013- Picks of the Day

LSRadio couldn’t be more excited for Sound City 2013! Between the 2nd and 4thMay this year, the most exciting and talented artists will descend on the city to grace us with their musical wares. At bars, clubs, art spaces and garages across the city centre you can see artists you’ve always wanted to and even plan your schedule with Sound City’s fancy new App. For £55 for a weekend ticket, £40 for 2 days and £25 for one you can catch more bands than you know what to do with. Here’s a rundown of our hotly tipped artists this year and some we’re just really looking forward to seeing!

Swim Deep//
Brummie Boys, Swim Deep have recently broken on to the music scene with their Indie concoction of floating, bass-heavy sounds. A fresh take on the early-90s grunge of Nirvana and The Pixies, the group bring you those eerie tones with a lighter element, with lead singer, Austin, commenting “more sun makes me happier.” Having a debut album titled “Where The Heaven Are We,” Swim Deep bring you sunshine and sadness simultaneously. To hear these musical beauties, get to Zanzibar at 10.15 on Thursday 2nd.

Oneohtrix Point Never//
The solo project of Brooklyn based Daniel Lopatin, Oneohtrix Point Never are mesmerising. His tracks are made entirely on vintage synthesizers, using a lot of synth sounds you’d recognise from 80’s New Age, but repurposing them and merging them with ‘ghost vocal’ samples to create massive, sprawling soundscapes in which to immerse yourself in. Given time they become absolutely hypnotising as tracks evolve and change in an almost organic fashion, the fact that Lopatin pays painstaking attention to every noise and sample is clear. Get yourself hypnotised at the Kazamier at 10.15 pm on Thursday.

Toy//

Writing from a northern perspective, I can only say, I wish Toy were northern. Like many of the great post-punk bands before them (cough- Joy Division- cough) there seems to be a city-soundscape quality to their work. Hear me out. The eerie vocals, enchanting melodies and rumbling bass lines seem like they were made to be your soundtrack to a journey round one of our favourite industrial cities. You should really let Toy’s electric-edged indie vibes be the backdrop to your trip around Sound City, beginning with their gig at 8.30 on Friday at –the best place for it- Liverpool Cathedral.

Melody’s Echo Chamber//                                                                           The love child of Tame Impala’s frontman Kevin Parker and French songstress Melody Prochet deserves to be recognized in its own right: dreamy psych-pop smothered in fluttery vocals and hazy synths. Their set at the Kazimier at 10.45pm is guaranteed to enthral.

Nadine Carina//

Originally from Switzerland and now based in Liverpool, Nadine Carina performs a range of music based on variations of folk which she describes as ‘experimental freak folk dream’ and ‘folktronica’. Some of these consist of interesting percussion sounds and synths which experiment with different intricate rhythms with vocals over the top. Her delicate voice has an endearing tone which makes her music sounds dreamlike yet intriguing. To explore this whimsical artist for yourself head to Bold Street Coffee on Thursday 2nd at 10.30pm and Epstein Theatre on the 3rd   at 9.20pm.

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17