LSRadio X Sound City 2013// Top Picks

Darwin Deez//

Claiming to tune his 4 string guitar in a secret fashion, known only to him, what certainly isn’t a secret is that Darwin Deez is one of the hottest acts to hit Soundcity this year. Bringing with him from the States his upbeat and unique dream pop, Darwin will be making crowds bop and sing along all show long.Darwin Deez will be performing from 1.30-2.30am on Saturday the 4th at The Garage.

Bo Ningen//
You have to see Bo Ningen live. Whilst on record their scuzzed up, insanely complex psych fuzz is incredibly captivating, it is live that they are truly in their element. With a history of wildly destructive psych-jam sessions at shows, the band become a fury of odd trousers and long hair on stage, your only choice is to get just as caught up as they are in the noise. The London based band do make a fantastic racket and their entirely Japanese vocals blend brilliantly with their music, whilst tracks like recent collaboration with Jehnny Beth of Savages may seem like an unplanned whirlwind, there is a definite method to the madness. Get caught up on Saturday at 1.45 in Screenadelica.

Egyptian Hip Hop//
Jaded by a few more years since their Hudson Mowhawke produced debut Ep ‘Some Reptiles Grew Wings’, the young mancs feel far more at home in their latest offerings, a bizarre mix of engaging psychedelic melodies structured around drivingly infectious but broken pop rhythms. Expect a crowd not quite sure what to do with their feet and harmonies aplenty on Saturday 10.15pm at the Art Academy.

Everything Everything//

The Manchester art-rockers have exceeded the high expectations with their sophomore effort ‘Arc.’ After witnessing their live set at Liverpool’s O2 Academy in February, I will be fighting to be at the front for their set at the Art Academy on Friday at 11.30pm; anyone who can maintain singing that high should be given a medal.

Echo and the Empress//

All the way from Adelaide, Australia, you don’t want to miss this sibling duo and 4-piece band, who radiate youthfulness with their fresh sounding vocals and striking harmonies. Their simple chord progressions and laid back tempos create a relaxed and content ambience making them an enjoyable listen. Come and see what exciting new material this award winning band have in store at The Brink, Friday 3rd at 9pm and Heebie Jeebies on the 4th at 8pm.