Week In Music
Week In Music
Christine and the Queens// Sound City/ 2.5.13
Accoutred like the devil’s bride, in a gory, glossy red suit and a black shroud. Christine, of Christine and the Queens (not the name of her band, she doesn’t need one), filled the stage to its brim, despite her slight frame. Her captivating brand of on-stage energy penetrated the atmosphere at the beautifully laid out Kazimier Gardens for Sound City. A marriage of Kate Bush’s haunting vocal ability with the swagger of Michael Jackson, it’s a mystery that I hadn’t heard of her before, she’s a revelation. It wasn’t just her vocal ability that impressed, the production of her backing tracks and the overall sound was immaculate. A trip-hop sounding track rendered her voice into something reminiscing Portishead or Massive Attack, a stomping 80s beat made her sound like Blondie, even a downbeat track, sang in French  retained her trademark zestiness and wouldn’t sound out of place on major – English – radio stations.
As far as all-round visual-aural experiences go, Christine could only be matched by IMAX, new year’s eve fireworks and earthquakes at the upper end of the richter scale. Catch her before she leaves these shores and you will not be disappointed. She performs for The Great Escape in Brighton on the 18th of May.
/Ed White

More

University of Liverpool Men’s Rugby League – Angus Parkin, Captain : Interview
Catholic Action @ The Shipping Forecast (03/03/18)
Liverpool Strikes Could Continue as UCU Reject Pensions Deal
End of the F***ing World – Netflix Show Review
The Singh Twins: Slaves of Fashion at The Walker Gallery