Doc Brown: Of Mic & Men// O2 Academy/ 1st October

Remember that rapper on David Brent’s comeback song, ‘Equality Street’? That would be Doc Brown (Ben Smith), who has stormed on to the comedy stage after appearing alongside Gervais in his comic relief reggae parody song and on Russell Howard’s Good News.

‘The long, yet determined, struggle not to appear gay.’ The failed rapper turned self-proclaimed clown’s definition of the world of rap. This immediately sets the tone for his hilarious take on hip-hop culture and life in the council estates of Kilburn.

‘I am black and white’ gave Doc Brown open doors in his song ‘Racist,’ with the brilliant lyrics ‘you got an iPod shufflin’ the playlist that ain’t picked reggae in a while? Racist!’ Throughout the performance, Doc Brown was able to give insightful yet funny takes on current issues (racism, patriarchal rap culture) in this manner, making the show not only funny, but interesting as well.

The O2 Academy was not the best venue for a comedy show, with an audience too far away and a barrier blocking Brown’s chances of close interaction with the crowd. Regardless of this, Of Mic & Men flowed brilliantly well, with Doc Brown effortlessly interchanging between jokes and spoof songs. Catch him now whilst prices are cheap, because with shows like that it is clear Doc Brown has finally found his feet in the comedic world.

/Lorna Poultney

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17