Riddance// Korova/ 5.10.13

Taking the underground sound to another level, both literally and metaphorically, is Riddance, a brand new event night in Liverpool launched from the basement of the Clockwork Orange inspired Club Korova. It was unfortunate that the night had to compete with other well established events, because the resident DJs were on top form, yet the result could only be described as the best sort of hipster’s paradise. The intimate, counter-culture feel of the venue reminded me of East London a few years back and, as I nostalgically sipped my Red Stripe, I couldn’t help but let a smug smirk cross my lips. As well as reasonably priced beers, I enjoyed the damn good beats, the night having opened with local live acts Ghostchant and Cubeface, both of whom deserved a bigger turn out than they received. Finishing with a two hour set from SPD, the Birmingham based producer who by virtue of his technical skill and chronological excellence got the crowd riled and wriggling through a genre hopping mix up from Tech House to Future Garage. As for myself, at some point I got lost on the way to the pisser and ended up above ground, upstairs in the sort of David Guetta environment that somehow manages to reel in punters like moths to a totally awful musical flame. On my return the contrast in sound and atmosphere helped to remind me why I enjoy the music I enjoy. Big up residents Samuél and Eliza-lee. Good Riddance.

/Jon Ferguson

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17