CHVRCHES – The Bones of What You Believe

I’m not a massively huge fan of cheesy synth-pop, but this is probably the best cheesy synth-pop album I’ve ever heard. Alright, that doesn’t say much at all, BUT this IS a really good record. The Bones of What You Believe is the debut album from the Scottish trio formed in Glasgow in 2011 and it’s been met with some critical acclaim.

Lauren Mayberry’s sweet melodic vocals intertwine brilliantly with the energetic gleaming synth lines and hefty bass throughout. Mayberry’s lyrics are mostly pretty dark, but the pursual of the dynamic, spirited hooked sound ensure a thoroughly upbeat sense of harmony and enthusiasm is retained all the way through. If I had any real criticism of this album I’d say that the male vocals on songs such as ‘Under The Tide’ don’t sound half as good combined with the glistening synth melodies as Mayberry’s do…but you hear much more of her. Something about me wants to dislike this album, maybe because it’s something I would have absolutely loved when I was thirteen, but I can’t stop listening to some of the more standout songs like ‘The Mother We Share’, ‘We Sink’ and ‘Gun’.

The floorless production and catchy synth layering makes this album one of the most accessible pop albums in recent years – whether you want to or not, you’re going to be listening to a lot of CHVRCHES.

Favourite Song: The Mother We Share

/Joe Horsman

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17