Picks of the Week// Phosphorescent

Phosphorescent grace the stage of The Kazimier this Saturday, 9th November.

Trying to pin down exactly what to expect when Phosphorescent’s Matthew Houck and the bands ever changing line up take to the stage is a somewhat impossible task. With his career now spanning a decade, Houck has five LPs and one EP under his belt that range from raw country rock to acoustic ballads, bordering gospel as well as psychedelia up to upbeat, catchy folk tunes and the latest record’s epic electronic touch.

It’s not surprising that his impressive musical range has earned him comparisons to legends such as Neil Young and Willie Nelson and has won great critical acclaim in publications such as Clash magazine, which branded the latest album ‘Muchacho’ as ‘a beautiful outing in hauntingly pastoral heartbreak’. After being invited to support The National during their European tour of 2010, including three sold out nights at The O2 Brixton Academy, the band have played countless festivals and are now, after wrapping up their American tour, crossing the Atlantic again.
.
Whatever mood you’re in, whatever shade and shape of country and folk you are looking for; there is something for everyone in Phosphorescent’s unique blend of down to earth tunes that seem to come straight from the heart to warm yours. Or break it. Or make it beat a bit faster. So unless you have an easily irritable pacemaker there really is no excuse for not going to see them. And if you have one,
leave it at home, because you won’t need it.

/Malina Modlich