The Wytches//Shipping Forecast/13.2.

Brighton-based ‘surf-doom’ three-piece The Wytches are set to inject Liverpool with a healthy dose of high-octane thrills this month. Having formed in Peterborough in 2011, the band have cut their name in today’s music scene via a series of impressive single releases and a fresh blend of influences from genres ranging from grunge to psychedelic. Described by The Guardian as most likely to ‘metaphorically punch you in the ear,’ the abrasive and captivating live show the band delivers is full of distorted passion and showcases the recorded tracks in a heavier, more provoking light. The Wytches will soon be off to Europe as support for Blood Red Shoes, and with Liverpool being one of the few Northern gigs for the band, this is the perfect chance to catch them at their most profound. Accompanied by local surf-pop duo Beach Skulls, Nottingham alt-rock specialists Kagoule as well as the impeccably titled DJ Ken Monkou’s Jock Strap, February 13th will bear witness to an intense night of uniquely high proportions.

/Ben Lynch