Dropout Radio
Dropout Radio

Pharoahe Monch// The Kazamier/ 19.2.14

image

Don’t miss a rare opportunity to see the legendary Pharoahe Monch, an extremely talented, politically conscious Hip Hop artist that will get the crowd jumping! Performing live in Liverpool on Wednesday 19th February

Buy Tickets Here

Queens MC Pharoahe Monch has been around since the early 90s, when he was one half of seminal hip hop duo Organized Konfusion, alongside Prince Po. The duo were highly respected and acclaimed in the underground scene, most certainly worth a listen. After the two spilt, Monch released his impeccable solo debut ‘Internal Affairs’ (1999) on Rawkus Records, a label which helped to ignite the careers of artists like Mos Def and Talib Kweli, who features on the album as well as Busta Rhymes, Common, Method Man and more.

– Monch in 1999

Having trouble finding a record label that he could work with, his next album, ‘Desire’ was not with us until 2007. This ‘quality over quantity’ attitude may be part of the reason why he is not a familiar name to many Hip Hop fans despite his impressive past work. But there’s no reason to feel late jumping on the bandwagon; Monch is as exciting as ever today, a true underground MC looking to speak the truth through real Hip Hop rather than to make money and parade a lavish lifestyle. He is seemingly unaffected by the mainstream direction that his beloved genre has been heading since the mid 2000s. Monch has stood the test of time and triumphs as a lyrically talented, politically conscious rapper with an inspiring manner during a time of chain-swanging trap-pop and braggalicious dance rap.

He is currently working on a new album, P.T.S.D. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), set to be released on April 15th.  (Check out the single ‘Bad Motherf***er’). The album is described by his website as reflecting “the trials and tribulations of an independent artist who is at war with the music industry”. It will be a follow up to his politically charged Independent release ‘W.A.R. (We Are Renegades)’ in 2011, a challenging album dealing with sociopolitical issues such as mass media and the dumbed-down, systematic entertainment of the population, police brutality and political warfare. Monch “narrates as an independent artist weary from the war against the industry machine and through the struggle of the black male experience in America”. 

Get yourself down to the Kazimer to catch him on his UK tour! Here’s some of his stuff to get you interested. (I would also recommend getting hold of his full albums).

/Jethro Jenkins