Clarks// Shipping Forecast/ 5.2.14

Having made a name for itself in Leeds, Clarks brought the long awaited Bashment scene to Liverpool with one hell of a party last Wednesday night. On arrival it was exciting to see the Hold’s Caribbean makeover, with carnival flags draped from the ceiling and the colours black, green and yellow splashed about the place. For its opening night, the venue hit peak capacity before 12, rammed full of revellers on the Rum and Red Stripe.

It seemed Clark’s DJs were somewhat timid at the start of the evening, testing the waters and playing familiar chart songs. It was only towards the second half of the night when the Clark’s crew and the crowd for that matter, really came into their own. Whistles, horns and the Conga created the perfect festival vibe and transformed the sometimes ominous Shipping Forecast into a vibrant, energetic venue. The Palance dance (think Bashment Soulja Boy) was a highlight of the night and an opportunity to pick out the dancehall veteran from those new to the scene, who intently watched the dancers on stage to pick up the moves.

Clarks is an exciting new asset to the Liverpool nightlife and a welcome break from the House dominated music scene, sprinkling a bit of fun and light-hearted dancing to the Hold. So if Vybz Kartel, Busy Signal or just the opportunity to try out your best dutty wine sounds like your thing, be sure not to miss the next ‘craziest Caribbean carnival’ event in Liverpool!

/Lorna Poultney