Cate Le Bon// Leaf/ 11. 2. 14

This Tuesday Leaf provided the perfect venue for Cate Le Bon’s welcome return to Liverpool.  Upstairs the shabby chic décor set a chilled scene with many of us sitting on the floor chatting, beers in hand, eagerly anticipating an evening of relaxing music. There were even some couches and chairs snuck away in the corner for the lucky few who got there early but once the music started the best place to be was right in the thick of it at the front.

The crowd were a friendly bunch of fans and new fans, old and young, adding a relaxed atmosphere to the gig. To start off the evening was a talented artist called Sea Lion from Sweden. Her performance was understated with her walking quietly on stage without announcing her presence to the crowd. Once she began to play her Kate Bush like voice had the whole audience intrigued despite her unassuming entrance. She was a well-chosen supporting act as she put us in a state of relaxation, ready for the main act.

One woman told me how she was new to Cate Le Bon but was very excited to hear her live, an opinion which epitomises Le Bon’s rising fan base. Her latest album Mug Museum has generated excitement amongst music critics and was written in the aftermath of her Grandma sadly passing; listening to it live really gave the audience a sense of her loss. Songs which stood out were ‘I Can’t Help You’ and ‘Mirror Me’ as they had poignant lyrics with Le Bon’s powerful but beautifully controlled voice echoing around the room.

The tempo of the gig was well executed by Le Bon and her band mates, however I couldn’t help but feel that a more varied set list would have made the gig more memorable. It was not an evening where the songs remained with us afterwards, many seemed to blend into one.

Le Bon herself was relaxed throughout and this emulated through the crowd. She calmly made a shout out to her Uncle Roger in the audience and handled a Keyboard malfunction very well, joking with the audience about ‘technological problems’. She kept her cool and showed her talent by spontaneously singing while her band mates wrestled with the failing technology, her strong welsh accent shining through and we appreciated her ability to carry on with ease. 

It was the perfect way to spend a Tuesday evening and I have a feeling that she will be performing at a larger venue when she next returns to Liverpool.

/Georgia Keating