Jack Savoretti// East Village Arts Club/ 28.3.14

Serving his special blend of sweet, catchy tunes, throaty vocals and witty lyricism, Jack Savoretti will be playing East Village Arts Club on March 28th.

Having grown up in Switzerland, Italy and London before moving to California to study, where he directly experienced a traumatised post 9/11 America, one can only imagine the myriads of experiences and influences Jack Savoretti  came under throughout his childhood and teens. These ingredients make up the songs of his rather mellow, thoughtful, sometimes slightly dark first two albums Between The Minds and Harder Than Easy which he describes as an ‘education’ phase for himself. They earned him rave reviews and a European tour with Corinne Bailey Rae in 2007, including a show at London’s Hammersmith Apollo.

Not a stranger to overcoming daunting obstacles; his Californian dream was seemingly thwarted when he suddenly found himself in Geneva instead of LA on the 11th of September 2001 after his plane was escorted back to Europe by fighter jets. Jack nonetheless seemed to be at the end of his rope and ready to give it all up after his albums failed to take off.

Maybe caffeine just kicked in after he headlined acoustic shows in about sixty Caffé Nero shops throughout Britain and released whatever strength Jack still had left, but a label change and a couple marathon writing and recording sessions later, he released his most recent album Before The Storm in 2012. More personal than the other two albums and containing incredibly infectious danceable and catchy tunes, he describes it as finally having found his sound.

Featuring his freshly brewed EP Sweet Hurt, along with his previous work, the gig at East Village Arts Club is guaranteed substitute for your daily coffee, whether you prefer it smooth or tangy, black and strong or with milk and a spoonful of sugar. So make sure you get yourself down there on March 28th to be served sweet tunes by this half-Italian dude with a guitar. Don’t tell me there’s a better way to get stoked for the weekend.

/Malina Modlich