PREVIEW: LESS EFFECT with ADDISON GROOVE & WEN// HAUS/ 11.4.14

I think it’s safe enough to say that it doesn’t appear cool to like dubstep anymore. If you use the term in conversation with new people you meet, they look at you as if you’ve just sworn at them. Even the dubstepforum has had to try and project a snazzy new layout in order to try and keep the heads sticking around. Skream’s making disco, Benga’s retired to make lots of babies, and Caspa’s still making the same old tunes with the same old presets. It appears that with the “Disclosure explosion” house and techno is what gets the crowds in and the money behind the bar these days.

But if you peel away the layers and look hard enough, there’s still stuff at 140 bpm tearing up dance floors. When Girl Unit and Oneman played at the Kazimier I took a look in the courtyard to see what was happening. What I saw was the Less Effect boys with Abandon Silence residents Harry Sheehan and Rich Furness, playing whatever tunes they wanted, to a crowd of 30-odd people having the times of their lives. It reminded me of what the dubstep scene used to be all about: no fancy lights, no fancy equipment, no gimmicks, just a few guys with a big bag of vinyl and loads of bass. It was fantastic.

This underground resurgence of swaggering rollers at 140bpm has meant that Less Effect have been able to start putting on a few nights on of their own, and their next is at Haus on the 11th of April. Headlining will be the modern day mighty guardian of 808 himself Addison Groove (formerly Headhunter), who no doubt will be dropping tracks from his new album Addison Groove Presents: James Grieve, amidst well-loved shuffling jukey classics like ‘Footcrab’ and ‘This Is It’.

Beneath him on the bill is the super talented Wen, someone who’s been knocking on the door for a few years now with his dark, atmospheric, and hefty grime inspired beats. Wen’s consistently forward thinking style has enabled him to get friendly with the legendary Keysound label, who have released his debut album Signals. Expect Wen to give us plenty of spaced out, nostalgia ridden beats, a taste of the equally dark old and new aspects grime and dubstep,

Joining Addison Groove and Wen will of course be the Less Effect residents, tearing up Haus the only way they know how. Armed with the utterly ginormous RC1 soundsystem, it’s safe to say that your chest will be rumbling all night long. As Crazy D would say, deeper and darker we go!

Grab your tickets from the official Facebook page, 3B records on Slater Street in Liverpool city centre. £10 in advance, £12 on the door.

Leo Watkins