The Jolly Hour
The Jolly Hour

DEXTERS @ East Village Arts Club – REVIEW, 5.11.14

Dexters

Image from DEXTERS Facebook profile

”The tunes rolled off of their fingers like they were born playing them, a sign of a band with a lot of gigging experience and dedication”

Most people spent Bonfire Night as huddled-up icicles watching fireworks, but I was enclosed in the warmth of EVAC, surrounded by brightly-coloured lights of a different kind.  And though I feel like I’ve lived in the Arts Club the last couple of weeks, the vibe that radiated as London-based guitar-wielders DEXTERS kicked off their latest UK tour made it a night to remember.

Fresh-faced local lads Room for Rent filled the opening support slot. Having witnessed these guys a few weeks ago as support for fellow indie-rockers, Careless Sons, I wasn’t disappointed by my second taste of their live prowess. In this more spacious setting, their distinctive three-guitar makeup was showcased well, with their live rendition of single ‘’Acrimony’’ a personal highlight that left me pretty convinced they’re one to watch on the Liverpool music scene.

It has to be said, 5th November, EVAC, 8 o’clock in the evening – the last thing I ever expected was to be in the company of celebrity. But due to her brother being a member of second support band, Judas, EVAC was graced with the presence of Abbey Clancy and husband Peter Crouch. Not something you expect on your average gig reviewing experience. Famous sister and brother-in-law aside, Judas took the vibrant atmosphere by the horns and owned the stage. A rigidly tight rhythm section sat comfortably under riff-run vocal and guitar parts. Judas’ brave use of silence within tracks also allowed them the chance to show off their cohesion as a band, resulting in an awesome set.

IC1s continued a night of inspirational indie, oozing both ability and attitude, lead singer Daniel Coburn taking to the stage with bottle in hand. It was a chilled but still affecting performance, getting the crowd suitably set for the headliners to hit the stage.

DEXTERS is comprised of a collection of five guys with a fair amount of fringe between them, paired with blasé rock and roll edge and electric stage presence. With a set that included newest single ‘’Cloudfest’’ and crowd-favourite ‘’Recover’’, DEXTERS seem to be worthy of being called a leading light in a fresh upsurge of indie bands influenced by the likes of Oasis and The Clash. The majority of the rest of DEXTERS’ set comprised of album tracks off of their debut album, Shimmer Gold, an eclectic mix of guitar anthem corkers.

The tunes rolled off of their fingers like they were born playing them, a sign of a band with a lot of gigging experience and dedication. This commitment was mirrored by their fans, a closely-knit bubble at the centre of the club floor, enthusiastically singing along to every word and slowly getting tipsier with each song. I have to say, I haven’t been to a gig that exuded so much enthusiasm in a long time, and on an evening associated with performance and loud noises, DEXTERS rounded off this years’ firework night with a bang.

Words: Cecily Sheppard

Cecily Sheppard