The Jolly Hour
The Jolly Hour

What’s on?! 17-23.11.14

The Voyeurs @ The Shipping Forecast, 18.11.14

Following optimistic critical acclaim succeeding the release of Rhubarb Rhubarb, London based band The Voyeurs is set on a week-long UK tour, featuring a stop at Liverpool’s very own The Shipping Forecast. If latest single ‘Stunners’ doesn’t make you want to grow your hair out long and find some flares, I’m not sure what will.

Tickets here 

Words: Luke Halls

Winter Mountain @ Leaf, 18.11.14

The singer-songwriter duo, Winter Mountain, will be padding out LEAF with their harmonious folk melodies this Tuesday, as part of their second tour this year. Joseph Francis and Marty Smyth chanced to meet on a train heading to Memphis and decided to join together after discovering shared musical passions. The combination of their folk rock influences, their aptitude for song-writing and the warming blend of their voices is more than enough to provide an intimate evening of live music. As if you needed a little more persuasion, support comes from the talented Emilio Pinchi, a recent finalist at the Merseyrail Soundstation Prize and a current regular on the LSRadio music blog.

Tickets here 

Words: Ellen Bridge

Charlie 2na @ The Kazimier, 19.11.14

Originally making his name as one member of L.A. based underground hip hop legends Jurassic 5, Chali 2na’s distinctive baritone vocals and outstanding lyrical ability set him apart even in a group full of highly talented MCs. Currently touring the U.K. in support of his latest solo E.P. Manphibian Music, he arrives in Liverpool on Wednesday for a night at The Kazimier which is sure to be bursting with all of the feel good vibes and lyrical dexterity he is known for. This is surely the place to be for anyone looking for a party.

Tickets here

Words: Patrick Mackridge

Tim Hecker @ Camp and Furnace, 19.11.14

Tim Hecker is an especially multi-dimensional musician. Finishing his UK tour in our corner of the country, the culturally blossoming Baltic Triangle will play good host to the Canadian polymath. If his formidable back catalogue of structured soundscaping is anything to go by, Hecker’s live performance should be nothing short of a marvel. He plays Liverpool’s Blade Factory (next to Camp and Furnace) on Greenland Street this Wednesday the 19th November. The Blade Factory’s stripped back, minimal, slightly industrial feel is sure to be the perfect setting to let the ambient architecture of Tim Hecker’s selected works wash through your soul.

Tickets here 

Words: Jon Ferguson

Circa Waves @ The Kazimier, 20.11.14

As the Liverpool based alternative rockers make their way around the UK this month they are finishing their tour off with a homecoming gig in the well and truly loved Kazimier this Thursday. Before they hibernate and finalise their highly anticipated album the Liverpudlian lads support The Courteeners this Friday at Echo Arena which will definitely build up their already loyal fanbase. Previously touring with the likes of Temples, Interpol, Royal Blood and The Libertines it’s only soon enough that this band will be playing Echo Arena themselves so this Kazimier gig is sure to be a night to remember.

Tickets here

Words: Helen Rabbit

The Wounded Kings @ The Zanzibar Club, 20.11.14

With a proclivity for the terrifying and citing influences including ‘occultism’, and more generally ‘horror’, The Wounded Kings are set to embark upon Liverpool from “the misty moors of Dartmoor”. Launching assault on the typically serene sensibilities of The Zanzibar on Thursday 20th November, the self-professed Doom Metal outfit’s notable releases include ‘In the Chapel of the Black hand’ and 2010’s ‘The Shadow Over Atlantis’. Probably not one for the light-hearted, this set is guaranteed to be explosive and excessive in equal quantities.

Tickets here

Words: George Aird

Black Diamond @ EVAC, 21.11.14

Throw your horns up and get your faces melted this Friday at EVAC with local boys, Black Diamond putting on the hardest of classic rock shows. After supporting a host of reputable names and taking the honour of Liverpool Rocks! Battle of the Bands Winners 2014, it’s their turn to headline their hometown.

Tickets £6 on the door

Words: Brendan Walsh

Fiesta Bombarda @ Constellations, 21.11.14

Fiesta Bombarda is back in town and this time it is taking a turn for the luminous. Alongside the more than capable hands of hip hop elite The Mouse Outfit, The Kazimier Krunk Band and Kioko (plus many more) you will find both UV face painters and cannons, not to mention some intensive set design from Merseyside’s own Three Moons Creative.  Considering the success of the last installment at the Kazimier is still searching far and wide for its roof after the last instalment of Bombarda, this is most certainly not a night to pass up on.

Tickets here

Words: Lewis Daly

The Good Friday Project @ The Zanzibar Club, 21.11.14

The Good Friday Project hits Liverpool this Friday, full in the face and with a vengeance. A whole load of talent will be packed into The Zanzibar Club on Seel Street, a venue which has held host to such notable acts as The Zutons, Keane, The Kooks and Hot Club De Paris. For five pounds on the door or four pound in advance, be entertained all night long by the likes of The Thirst, Zen Project, Interro Bang and The Scarletts – and MORE. Such a choc-a-block night as this is sure to leave you screaming for more in the early hours, ready to paint the town red. Be sure to get down early to avoid disappointment.

Tickets here

Words: Julian Jefferies

The Smiths Indeed @ EVAC, 21.11.14

The Smiths Indeed are a Liverpool born tribute band to The Smiths who aim to capture the essence of a mid-1980s Smiths concert. Having toured their way around the UK since 2005, their 2014 tour is in celebration of the 30th anniversary of The Smiths and Hatful of Hallow. For those of you who revel in the jangly brilliance which was Morrissey and Marr in their heyday, this show at Liverpool’s much loved EVAC is not one to be missed!

Tickets here

Words: Laura Copestake

Zanzibar Presents @ The Zanzibar Club, 22.11.14

Saturday will see 43 Seel Street lit up once again by the bright lights of the regularly-run The Zanzibar Presents, an event that showcases up and coming talent. Hosted by one of the most intimate and character-filled venues in Liverpool, The Zanzibar Presents’ line-up is set to include performances from The Mighty Toucan as well as The Fluorescents, a dynamic duo known for their infectious beats and rock’n’roll edge. If you love getting a taste of the sound of new artists, it’s set to be worth hopping on down to the Zanzibar, and, in the words of The Fluorescents, expect the unexpected.

Tickets here

Words Cecily Sheppard

Editor’s Choice: Fiesta Bombarda

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.