The Jolly Hour
The Jolly Hour

Slaves @ LGOS, 18.11.14
Photo taken from artist's Facebook.

Photo taken from artist’s Facebook.

“Vincent brought relentless drumming and fuel driven vocal and Holman’s guitar playing showed exactly why Jamie T decided to have this band on the road with him.”

With recent appearances on Jools Holland and a recently  announced slot for the NME tour 2015, Slaves have finally  got their foot stuck in the door of the music industry. Two piece bands are becoming increasingly successful, owed to some amazing recent albums from the likes of Blood Red Shoes, Drenge and  Royal Blood. After an  unfortunate drop out from their Shipping Forecast gig the  previous week due to illness, Slaves seemed intent on cramming two shows worth of energy into one support slot.

The Kent based duo bounded on to stage full of almost endearing levels of excitement, seemingly enthused with their role supporting Jamie T on the final night of his comeback UK tour. Though this on-stage furor never dwindled, the crowd initially failed to participate. That is, until Laurie Vincent’s southern wit and charm won them over and the engagement began. Vincent brought relentless drumming and fuel driven vocal and Holman’s guitar playing (released on the crowd in form of a ‘Beauty Quest’ solo) showed exactly why Jamie T decided to have this band on the road with him.

Their anecdote to ‘Debbie where’s my car?’ added a humorous dimension to what is, in all honestly, a track from the more visceral ends of the punk spectrum. Head nodding/thrashing was galore during ‘Cheer up London’, perhaps more so than usual considering the Northern crowd. Vincent was clearly confident with the performance of ‘Hey’ with its recent airing on Jools Holland; gaining the best response from the crowd and its recognition in the set. The climax of the set came in the form of ‘The Hunter’, the band’s newest release and the one destined for greatness, and incidentally,  a well-deserved place on BBC Radio One’s playlist. Sensibly choosing to reserve it for their encore, the crowd reacted by mirroring the brimming energy and excitement of Slaves by forming an array of wildly expanding mosh pits.

Slaves’ trajectory is only going to soar from here on in, which is testament to the raw intensity they bring to every performance. However, I can’t help but be somewhat twinged with sadness. As their popularity inevitably increases, the opportunities to see them in the smaller, sweatier, incomprehensibly louder venues will become few and far between. Still, when a underground punk band sticks it’s head out into the mainstream, it can only be a good thing for music fans.

Words: Helen Rabbitt and Eddy Spofford

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.