The Jolly Hour
The Jolly Hour

The Smiths Indeed @ EVAC, 21.11.14
Picture taken from band Facebook

Picture taken from band Facebook

“The band recreated some famous moments from The Smiths – throwing flowers to the audience and holding signs up stating ‘The Queen is Dead’ – which made the show uncanny to that of a Smiths concert.”
I couldn’t have asked for a more entertaining night on a rainy Friday in Liverpool. Having been a fan of The Smiths for as long as I can remember, I looked forward to the opportunity to go and see The Smiths Indeed and I was not disappointed.

The Smiths Indeed have been on the radar since 2005 and since then have been touring around the world recreating the unique sound that is – or rather, was – The Smiths. Their 2014 tour was in celebration of the 30th anniversary of The Smiths and Hatful of Hallow and it seemed a party was definitely in order. Since I’m still fairly new to the music scene in Liverpool when I turned up at EVAC I was expecting to head upstairs to ‘The Loft’ but instead I was directed to a room at the back of the venue, one which I can only describe as the perfect setting for what would be the remake of a 1980s Smiths concert.

The thing that made the gig for me was the fact that The Smiths Indeed let the audience vote prior to the set what songs they wanted to hear, making the whole show much more intimate as the crowd were listening to their favourite Smiths songs. Obviously many of The Smith’s iconic hits such as ‘Girlfriend in a Coma’ were played and The Smiths Indeed didn’t fail to capture the energy that you would have found in a performance by The Smiths themselves.

Songs such as ‘Ask’ and ‘This Charming Man’ were the highlight of the night in some aspects. The energy the band received from the crowd was brilliant and it was obvious there were Smiths fans around, singing along to every song played. In return, the band engaged brilliantly with the audience. The vocals were tight and extremely reminiscent of those of Morrissey himself, something that is vital in a tribute band. The band recreated some famous moments from The Smiths – throwing flowers to the audience and holding signs up stating ‘The Queen is Dead’ – which made the show uncanny to that of a Smiths concert.

Paying tribute to band as iconic as The Smiths surely isn’t an easy job but The Smiths Indeed rose to the challenge and won the crowd over, offering a night of nostalgia for many and capturing the essence of a 1980s Smiths concert perfectly. The crowd were great, the band was great and the night was great.

Laura Copestake
Laura Copestake is a student at the University of Liverpool.