Alt Tracks @ Zanzibar, 29.11.14
Killaflaw: Image taken from artist's Facebook

Killaflaw: Image taken from artist’s Facebook

Last night at Zanzibar, Killaflaw debuted their new club night ‘Alt Tracks’, showcasing local Liverpool talent and what better way to start than  a roster including dynamic duos Stereo Electric Mistress and Killaflaw themselves.

With it being my first time visiting Zanzibar I was fairly impressed, the dark and grungy interior mixed with the intimacy of seating booths and open floor makes for a great rock venue. From townies to metal heads it’s clear that Zanzibar has become one of the more popular live music venues in Liverpool, catering to all types audiences.

The night began with the upbeat Stereo Electric Mistress. Made up of Boykie Bogart and Tormund Midgetbain, this light hearted 80’s influenced electro pop band certainly know how to entertain a crowd. Their witty and wildly entertaining lyrics and their smooth disco-esque sound make it kind of hard not to get up and have a little boogie. Displaying an aptitude for topical comedy, one particular song I enjoyed was the humorous ‘Famous on Facebook’, where they express their thoughts on the ever growing social networking scene and the effects it has on modern day life. The bright and enthusiastic sound of Stereo Electric Mistress brought a rainbow of colours to the dark and dingy Zanzibar, a sound so infectious it would be impossible to leave without a smile on your face. It’s clear why they are fast becoming one of the most esteemed artists in Liverpool.

Killaflaw are from the ilk of very successful underground bands to derive from Liverpool, playing gigs at Glastonbury and performing for organisations such as NME and the BBC. The band mixes rock with dance through the use of soulful rock vocals and hypnotising guitar solos from Ben Helm and electronics with the occasional odd appearance of the trumpet from Andy

Paton. Although the night took to a slow start due to a number of technical issues delaying the gig, vocalist Ben Helm entertained the crowd as issues were addressed by serenading us with some soulful rock blues. The duo wasted no time as the gig finally proceeded; dropping some heavy drum and electro beats accompanied with some very vivacious dance moves and hair flicks that could be featured on a Loreal advert – although it did make me extremely jealous to know a man has nicer hair than me, their stage presence is impeccable. Killaflaw went on to perform some of their greatest songs such as ‘Revolution’ and ‘Broken idol’, both proving to be a huge hit with the crowd; their unique sound could be described as Nirvana meets Prodigy with the influence of early 90’s jungle. It’s fair to say that even with their extremely unique sound, Killaflaw manage to maintain quite a hefty local fan base as the entirety of Zanzibar partied till the early hours of Sunday morning.

Killaflaw have just recently signed a contract with London record label ‘Wall of Sound’ and are currently writing material for their new album. The latest album from Stereo Electric Mistress ‘Melodies of Mass Destruction’ is now available to listen and download from spotify. If you’re into electro pop/rock music or even if you’re not and you just want to support local talent then I highly recommend giving these guys a listen.

Words: Alice Pearce

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.