Kate Armiger @ EVAC, 24.11.14
Image taken from artist's Facebook

Image taken from artist’s Facebook

“This American singer songwriter is a genuine performer who  in due time will stamp and secure her place in the UK Charts”

Who thought that a Monday night could be made better by Country music making its way to Liverpool? Well that’s exactly what happened on Monday when Katie Armiger made her way across the Pacific from Texas to entertain the Liverpudlians at EVAC. Even before her arrival on stage she was showing admiration for her support act and tour crew by busting some western moves on the dance floor, much to the delight of her fans. This night could only get better and the American sweetheart was the one to get rid of those Monday blues.

Bouncing onto stage, Armiger and her five piece band who she clearly sees as family absorbed the encouragement from the crowd and put every bit of that energy into their set. Even from her first song, Armiger made sure to make an impression as she mashed Michael Jackson’s ‘Billy Jean’ and ‘I Want You Back’ into her own ‘He’s gonna Change’ creating ample sing-along opportunities, even for audience members without knowledge of her songs. From acknowledging the men of pop to dedicating her next song to all the ladies in the room as Armiger asks ‘‘what woman doesn’t look good in a little black dress?’’ whilst smoothly transitioning into the fittingly titled ‘Black Dress’ and breaking into those southern styled moves with her leading female guitarist. Armiger knows how to make herself a leading lady of country music and is most certainly on her way to having that stage persona of both the Queen of Country: Dolly Parton and former country princess; Taylor Swift.

The versatility does not just stop at country and pop combination, oh no, Armiger knows how to work the crowd and get on the good side of her tour manager as she dedicates the next cover to him. The rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Go Your Own Way’ goes down an absolute treat and the dance moves from both crowd and band are in full swing.

A female country singer wouldn’t be a female country singer if she didn’t cover the female power that is Shania Twain’s ‘Man! I feel like a Woman!’ Armiger worked her magic and even managed to get the blokes in the crowd singing. Slowing down the evening and bringing her set to a close Katie Armiger plays her heart on her sleeve as she serenades the crowd with her beautifully written ‘Safe’ before telling the story of her performing that particular song at her best friend’s wedding. Personal anecdotes like this only furthered the audience’s love for her.

As the musical country charisma comes to a close, Armiger gives thanks to both band and crew members, inviting the crowd to meet up with her after the show and just have a friendly chat if needs be. It’s only too right and truthful to say that this American singer songwriter is a genuine performer who  in due time will stamp and secure her place in the UK Charts; Katie Armiger is a woman made for this business.

Words: Helen Rabbitt

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.