Beardyman @ EVAC, 13.11.14
Beardyman

Photo taken from artist’s Facebook

”He is a man bound by no genre classifications, or predisposed notions of ‘what’s this song going to turn out like???’, as every piece was completely different and entirely encapsulating”

As I stumbled past the sea of old time ravers and hippies (the likes that wouldn’t look out of place at a barn rave in the 80’s), I found my way to the front of what would be the biggest trip of my life. Nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to experience. The simplest and most definitive way I can describe the Beardyman show is alike to being dragged through a landscape of countryside, where each field is represented by the likes of pro-disco Elton John, Ganja Kru jungle bangers, a weird Daft Punk crossover, and Scroobius Pip-like rants about crappy indie music.

Beardyman’s unique skill is in being able to create music on the spot, and the ability to do so in any genre, is a skill very rarely seen in live performance. He is a man bound by no genre classifications, or predisposed notions of ‘what’s this song going to turn out like???’, as every piece was completely different and entirely encapsulating.

For me the show wouldn’t have been the same without the psychedelic visuals from a visual performer called Turkey, editing live feeds of Beardyman and projecting them round the room. The whole performance was ‘off the cuff’, which has always been the main appeal of Beardyman for myself.

Everyone at gigs gets that feeling of ‘right this set is dragging, my legs hurt, the bloke next to me has BO and his Mrs just spilt her beer on my foot’, but I can safely say I didn’t take my eyes off the show for a second, and genuinely wanted more by the time his show came to a saddening end. I have heard Beardyman before on Radio 1, but never did I think a DJ could be so visually encapsulating, the result being the sort of antic you could expect from TEED, or Kraftwerk and such completely amazing.

Even to the detail of the venue, we will all agree that a venue can either make or break a gig experience. Whether it is seeing a psych band in the back of a pizza shop, with the light aroma of a descent margarita on the cards, or in this case watching a trippy Beardyman set, surrounded by a bunch of wild hippies, and some decorated manikin heads circling you form above, the venue matters. EVAC caters to many different genres, whether it’s an intimate set from a small acoustic act, and it accommodates the likes of Beardyman in an organised rave scenario. It’s so versatile and is one of my top venues in Liverpool, and for me it was the cherry on the cake for the Beardyman set.

Words: Ben Plumpton

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.