Bi:Lingual @ Maguire’s Pizza Bar, 27.11.14
Photo Credit: Enso Photo

Photo Credit: Enso Photo

“They’re music knowledge is only matched by their energy on stage and ingenuity in their songs. They have managed to combine the best parts of a few different sounds to make something completely refreshing.”

Bi:Lingual are the band you tried to be in at school, those awkward school music groups where you get the kid in class who listened to rap and grime put in a room with the kid with long hair and baggy jeans, all accompanied by the drummer kid who loves everything Dave Grohl ever did. The main difference being, unlike that terrible music class project, is they can pull it off.

They’re music knowledge is only matched by their energy on stage and ingenuity in their songs. They have managed to combine the best parts of a few different sounds to make something completely refreshing. It’s not something that has never been done before, but it’s hard to put your finger on quite what it sounds like. There are definite Rage Against The Machine influences with bits of The Black Keys but small parts of so much other guitar music that all gets mixed up and applied to the lyrical genius that is Dylan Teague.

I first saw the Manchester based 4-piece supporting psychedelic grungers, Allusondrugs at a sweaty and intimate show in Castleford. The cramped and DIY feel to the venue lent itself to the energetic and lively set from Bi:Lingual. I remember back then hearing Teague pick up the mic and say “I’m gunna have a go at some freestyle.”. My stomach sank a bit, I was enjoying the set up until that point, the crowd certainly were too and I felt it was going to be marred by some terrible, stumbling and rehearsed attempt at some freestyle about how much money the band makes and how many girls they can fit in a club. I whole-heartedly apologize for my mistake and Teague’s freestyle highlighted a trend in his lyrics opposing the corporate culture of the music industry.

When Teague took his moment to freestyle at Maguire’s Pizza Bar last Thursday, I started have that sinking feeling again, this time I thought maybe I was going to see that he had a set of interchangeable lines or lyrics he always hits and cries freestyle. Once again, I should have had more faith, Teague opted for a more comical set of lyrics which paid reference to the Liverpool match away to Ludogorets the night before, Mr.’s Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert and even a small shout out to yours truly, a sure fire way to ensure a positive review…

The interview afterwards showed that the boys are a hard-working and determined band who are ready to get their heads down and work but who are also not ready to take prisoners. They call out enough bands in their music to fill a festival line up but personally, I like it. It’s refreshing to see a band playing to their strengths and respecting their own sound. They live what they play and don’t want to be seen as hypocritical, which sadly, is a rare trait in music nowadays. They told us they will be returning to Liverpool, Lomax, around January time. We fully recommend you don’t miss it.

Words: Brendan Walsh

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.