King Charles @ EVAC, 16.02.15
Image credit: Artist's Facebook

Image credit: Artist’s Facebook

For once it wasn’t raining on as I made my way to EVAC, possibly a good sign of what was to come. My expectation as soon as I stepped into The Theatre of the Arts Club, was that this King Charles gig was going to be one full of energetic, foot stomping music from a man who no doubt possesses bags full of talent, and I wasn’t disappointed.

The first support act were Liverpool based indie rock band Indri who started the night off in musical style with a highly energetic performance as the crowds slowly began to grow. Next up was singer/songwriter Sasha Siem. With a fusion of hypnotic tunes and vibrant rhythms Sasha Siem and her band enticed the audience with songs such as So Polite, getting them ready for the main act.

King Charles gracefully came onto the stage and grabbed his guitar. Expecting some sort of extravagant, upbeat introduction I was pleasantly surprised when he decided to start off the set with an acoustic song, making it straight away different to any other concert I’ve been to. After the first song he was joined by the rest of the band and they broke out into Mississippi Isabel, a funky, feel good song that got the crowd moving immediately.

Each song after that was greeted with waves of cheers from the audience and there wasn’t one still body in the room. A lot of popular songs from his debut album ‘Loveblood’ were played, giving the crowd reason to sing and dance along to their favourite tunes. Each song saw King Charles moving around the stage playing energetic guitar solos and overall having a great time. The song Brightest Lights in particular had a beautiful A Capella ending, showing off how vocally tight the band were together.

King Charles also treated the audience to new music from his next album including the song Gamble For a Rose, which again mellowed the mood after the previous powerful song. The mixture of upbeat and calm songs worked perfectly together in the set as it showed the diverse range of King Charles’ music ability.

There is no doubt that King Charles is a musician who brings something new and unique to the music scene and this show at EVAC proved that. The whole night was a musical treat and if you’re looking for energetic, stylish new music; look no further than King Charles.

Laura Copestake