Natalie McCool: Pins

Natalie McCool

A bi-product of the palpable cultural renaissance throughout Liverpool is the emergence of a handful of fascinating and compelling female singer songwriters. Spearheaded by the nationally recognised and GIT award-nominated talents of electro-songstress Låpsley, and surged forwards by a host of underground emerging talents (see LUNA, Katya Edwards et al), Natalie McCool’s name lies firmly on the cusp of widespread adoration.

Her latest single, ‘Pins’, as well as swiftly racking up over 70,000 plays on Soundcloud, infectiously causes the abuse of repeat buttons symptomatic of all great music. Initially, McCool’s languid, at times barely audible, vocal is given ample space in between clever, simplistic production work. The track also excels lyrically, simultaneously both intelligent and playful (‘But I can feel the pins in the lining of the bed we made/ I know there’s still an ache in the stitches that were sewn’), but it is the delivery that will transform new listeners into avid fans. As the track progresses, the empty space swells in accordance with her effortless voice, delivering unexpected crescendos and then returning to the minimalistic pulse where the track seems most comfortable.

Natalie McCool has forthcoming gigs at:

Saturday 28th February, Tilt
Friday 20th March, Liverpool Acoustic Festival
Saturday 28th March, Threshold Festival @ Constellations

Website

Facebook

Twitter

Soundcloud

Youtube

George Aird
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by George Aird, LSRadio's Head of Music.