Kat’s 60 Minute Mix
Kat’s 60 Minute Mix

Red Bull Music Academy @ 24 Kitchen Street

redbull

Red Bull is well known. Those lethal heart beating liquid injections are known for keeping heads off pillows all around the world. The Red Bull Music Academy (RBMA) is less so well known. Last year, Tokyo played host to a silly amount of musical talent – names such as Mumdance, dBrigde and Dorian Concept are but a few.

This year, the RBMA is holding lectures, conferences and musical performances to create a storm over this year’s Academy in Paris. Held over four weeks in November and December, it will be a hands on practical course taught by the shining stars of the new music movement. I managed to catch the conference as it took over 24 Kitchen St earlier this month, sound system included.

With legendary club promoter and DJ Francois K and the eclectic beatmaker Mumdance interviewed live on stage, it was a night worth taking notes on. In the crowd were many faces from all over the North West music scene as well as less recognised producers, who equally want a shot at the big times.

The thing that was stressed above all was that the RBMA allowed successful artists, promoters and DJs to teach a new generation. It allows younger musicians the opportunity to ask questions that could not be answered anywhere else. They provide a unique environment of collaboration and learning, afforded by the massive brand presence. It’s amazing that veteran members of the new music scene are so happy to take on the responsibility of educating. This shows proof of the deep roots that the music industry has grown and the enduring legacy of the Artistic mentality.

Many thanks to Kitchen St, Red Bull and the artists. Check here for more information on the http://uktour.redbullmusicacademy.com/  tour which takes place in Glasgow, Bristol, London and Manchester in March and April.

Words: Jon Ferguson

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17