Fiesta Bombarda @ St George’s Hall, 21.02.15
Image Credit: Artist's Facebook

Image Credit: Artist’s Facebook

Where do I begin? The fact St Georges Hall is one of the most beautiful buildings I’ve ever seen or how incredibly successful the night was for Fiesta? Combined, the event was incredible. Being my first time attending Fiesta Bombarda I had high expectations, and in hindsight it’s probably safe to say it wasn’t what I expected, but it definitely did not disappoint! First impressions were of the building itself, the craftsmanship that went into making such an architectural masterpiece was mesmerising, and it immediately created a charming vibe for the evening.

The night began with the soulful songstress and LIPA’s very own beautiful Helena Johnson, accompanied by a 10 piece ensemble she performed an array of original songs including her debut single ‘Take Me Home Tonight’ which will be released on 23rd March. Shortly after we were graced with Brighton’s finest gypsy dubsters and skanksters Euphony. The 9 piece assemblage performed a killer set with songs from their Outside In and Mistakes EP’s. The band sure knows how to get knees bending as spirits began to run high, just in time for the introduction of the wonderfully unique London Afrobeat Collective. With members originating from as far as Nigeria and Iran, London Afrobeat Collective brought a wholly global sound and cultural atmosphere to St Georges Hall. Their soulful and upbeat sounds echoed through the hall making it extremely hard to stand still and not have a little boogie.

For me, the highlights of the evening came from the impressive performances of the talented Gypsy Disco. From hula hooping (with not one, not two but THREE hula hoops) to enthralling burlesque performances, their mid-event set kept crowds pleased and entertained as they prepped for the main act of the evening, Mungos Hi Fi. As soon as Mungos hit the stage there was an abundance of skanking going on amongst the crowd, particularly during their infamous tracks Herbalist and Dancehall School. They also performed a remix of the legendary Ready or Not by The Fugees which was inevitably met by a raucous reception from the crowd.

The night was closed with a short yet compelling set from Liverpool’s own Fire Beneath The Sea, needless to say their stage presence is impeccable and kept the hall moving till the very last second. It was disappointing that Fire Beneath The Sea didn’t get to finish their set due to lack of time, despite the crowd chanting for one more, but it was enjoyable none the less and probably a huge ego booster for the band, given the sheer scale of the event.

Unfortunately, if you didn’t attend this addition of Fiesta Bombarda, I’m afraid to say you truly did miss out on a fantastic event. What a great night and congratulations to those who made it possible!

Alice Pearce