Chinese Missy: Blood On Your Hands

Blood on your hands Artwork

Music has always lent itself as an effective and (largely) accessible medium via which contemporaries could reflect upon and critique political and social events. Whether it be Bob Dylan on the Civil Rights movement in America, U2 on the state of shock experienced following Bloody Sunday, or the general anti-establishment rhetoric espoused by Rage Against The Machine, the medium of music has always enabled artists to give their own two cents in a way that not many other outlets can offer. With the General Election only a matter of weeks away, rock’n’roll four-piece Chinese Missy have decided to weigh in on the action in the shape of new single ‘Blood On Your Hands’, with thrilling results.

Dissatisfaction dressed in comical garb is the order of the day in terms of the video itself, as individuals masked as Cameron, Osborne and Clegg frolic around under the dominion of a rather terrifying-looking Thatcher. Issues such as the increase in student debt and bankers’ bonuses are tackled, though it is, as it should be, the track beneath the visuals which steals the show. Boasting a guitar lick sharp enough to cut through any politician’s bullshit and a vocal performance with ample confidence and vigour to put any old backbencher in their place, the track walks that fine line between delivering a restless but informed message and delving into aimless drivel, thankfully treading firmly on the right side of the divide. As lead man and guitarist Bello Ingram reiterates, ‘you’ve got blood on your hands, anything goes’, ensuring the visual theatrics aren’t allowed to detract from the real target at the end of Chinese Missy’s sights. Topical, raucous and oh-so-addictive, ‘Blood On Your Hands’ embodies the act of protest which provides Government with the levelling it requires, condensing it into a three minute demonstration, and delivering it with more enthusiasm and panache than any electoral candidate could dream of.

Chinese Missy have the following gigs lined up;

Thursday 16th April @Proud Camden, London

Friday 24th April @ Jacaranda, Liverpool

‘Blood On Your Hands’ is to be released on the 20th April on all major digital retailers.

Facebook

Twitter

Soundcloud

YouTube

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.

Thundercat @ Invisible Wind Factory, Liverpool (24/3/17)
PREVIEW: FestEvol Gardens @ Invisible Wind Factory (30/4/17)
Pinata Carnival: Skinner’s Lane w/ Black Pulp & Native Kings @ Buyers Club (23/3/17)