Black Diamond: Stranglehold

Black Diamond

It can often be misleading when reading a band’s Facebook description before actually listening to the band themselves. As such, when Black Diamond’s ‘About’ section informed me that the local four-piece are ‘going all the way’, it was hard not to be sceptical. Such scepticisms however were not destined to linger. Recent release and title track off of their forthcoming EP ‘Stranglehold’ is a dense, concentrated and anthemic hard-rock outing, a song which compositionally and stylistically defies their tender cumulative age of just 17. It exudes confidence, and drives to the heart of what makes such a genre, when delivered successfully, so enthralling.

The buzz however emanates truly from the sum of each of the band’s parts. For every splicing guitar solo there is a commanding and enforcing drum beat and bass line, all of which is functioning under the dominion of Daniel Byrne’s compelling vocal performance. ‘The power of the words you wanna say/You can feel it in my bones’ is belted out by Byrne before the band delve into the track’s huge chorus, and he sure as hell isn’t lying; every word punctuates through the combative instrumentation, and is delivered with such passion and intensity it’s impossible not to be swept up in it all. The aforementioned description posits a course for the band which is yet to be determined true. On this evidence, however, there are few who would dispute its undeniable potential to prove to be just that.

Black Diamond have the following gigs lined up;

Wednesday 15th April @ East Village Arts Club, Liverpool

Saturday 18th April @ O2 Academy, Liverpool

Saturday 2nd May @ East Village Arts Club (Furyfest), Liverpool

Sunday 3rd May @Hotel California, Birkenhead

Saturday 9th May @ Jacaranda, Liverpool

Thursday 14th May @ The Great Escape Festival, Brighton

Saturday 16th May @ The Liverpool Tattoo Convention, Liverpool

Thursday 9th July @ Grand Central, Manchester

Saturday 11th July @ Jacaranda, Liverpool

The EP Stranglehold is to be released on 1st June via Capital Artists.

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube

Website

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.