Feelgood
Feelgood

Mic Lowry @ EVAC, 29.03.15
Image Credit: Artist's Facebook

Image Credit: Artist’s Facebook

As part of their first ever headline tour, Mic Lowry take to the stage at EVAC in their hometown of Liverpool. In light of the release of their debut E.P ‘The Show’ they have played sold out shows in London and Birmingham. so best to catch them quick – Mic Lowry are set to blow up.

Support Koby Onyame, hip hop artist, producer and songwriter, filled the stage with popping beats, catchy hooks, and contagious energy in anticipation for the headline act. From slow, inviting songs such as ‘Hello World, Goodbye’ causing the crowd to sway, to high energy boppers like ‘Yoyo’, the crowd was well and truly warmed up and ready for the headliners.

Mic Lowry received a grand introduction followed by the screams of their fans eagerly awaiting their arrival to the stage. As they began to sing they lifted the roof with their flawless harmonies. Their voices have an effortless quality, blending cleverly and fooling us all into thinking we could do the same.

With the accompaniment of Micheal’s guitar and Kaine, Akia and Delleile’s harmonies, Ben introduced the track ‘The Chase’ which appears on their debut E.P ‘The Show’. Original songs didn’t make up the entirety of their set, however.  The band have a high YouTube presence and record a number of covers and mash ups, and know how to choose them well. Performing a mash up consisting of Luther Vandross’ Never Too Much, Miguel’s How Many Drinks and Mario’s Let Me Love You, everyone in the crowd was dancing and enjoying the opportunity to sing along.

After this, things took a turn for the emotional. Returning to play in their hometown and towards the end of their first UK headline tour, the band took a moment to acknowledge the faces of those who have been with them since the start, leading them neatly to their next song ‘You’ve been with me from the start’. It was a nice touch, and clear to see these boys have a heart of gold and meant every word.

And of course no gig is complete without an emphatic encore encouraged by the booming cheers from an energetic crowd. I know leaving the gig that it won’t be the last time I see Mic Lowry on stage, and I will be downloading their E.P ‘The Show’ as soon as it’s released. With singles like ‘Tuxedo‘ picking up national recognition, it’s likely many others will be doing the same.

Words: Victoria Cross