Kat’s 60 Minute Mix
Kat’s 60 Minute Mix

Taws: Mama Doesn’t Own You

Taws

LIPA four-piece Taws are not a band inclined to take the simple route. Rather preferring to revel in unsuspecting time changes and boasting an overwhelming conglomeration of guitar, bass, drums, piano and vocals, their powerful brand of prog/math-rock is for those who prioritise an element of surprise over a safe and smooth passage. ‘Mama Doesn’t Own You’ sees this turbulent concoction given full expression, as the band reflect an urgency, a tenacity, and a degree of serenity, drawing on the potential scope of their sound, and allowing it to bloom.

The notion of blooming itself however is something of a misdemeanour, with no sense of gradual progression, but rather various stages of ascending, descending and subsequent calm. Guitarist Sturle Sandvick offers a meticulous and nuanced performance, providing movement and character as well as reflection in his playing. Vocalist, guitarist and pianist Leela Dawson similarly impresses, comfortable as she is both in leading from the front and taking a step back when required, her vocals equally suited to taking centre stage as they are lending themselves as an extra instrument. As the track fades into a stunning dissolution of Leela’s vocals and instrumentation, it becomes increasingly clear that Taws have something erratic, something vibrant, but something special. Trying to outguess them is sure to be a fruitless venture, but when it sounds this good, the only thing to do is give up and join the ride.

The band don’t currently have any gigs lined up as they have been in the studio working on new releases.

Facebook

Twitter

Soundcloud

The track can be listened to on the band’s Bandcamp here.

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17