Feelgood
Feelgood

Sundogs: To Be My Girl

Sundogs

Engaging with an aesthetic which consists of reverb-laden guitars and baritone vocals can be dangerous going. There is a tendency for bands which pursue such traits to slip into drab, uninteresting waters, leaving you with an aftertaste consisting of…nothing. On the flipside, when executed successfully, such inclusions can inject a track with a sense of groove it’s hard to replicate elsewhere. Sundogs’ first single, ‘To Be My Girl’, thankfully sits the right side of the fence, in an impressive debut outing for the four-piece.

As mentioned above, what drives the track is its groove. The chord sequence which underpins the whole song is effortless in its delivery, yet deliciously addictive. The vocals, too, give the track a sense of profound and likeable charm, professing such intentions from the off with opening line, ‘shit, I never meant to be that guy’. ‘To Be My Girl’ contains more than merely a façade of cool, however, and the song as a whole has real substance beyond the slick guitars and distant vocal performance. Evocative, serene, and brimming with lush melodies, it reflects a band who, having only just gotten started, have potentially got a lot to offer.

Sundogs have the forthcoming gig lined up;

Saturday 23rd May @ The Zanzibar Club, Liverpool (The Sneaky Nixons EP launch)

Facebook

YouTube

Soundcloud

Ben Lynch
This post from our Music Team was uploaded by Ben Lynch, LSRadio's Deputy Head of Music.