Feelgood
Feelgood

The Bohicas @ EVAC, 08.10.15

Who would have thought the roof of EVAC could be blown straight off on what seemed to be an ordinary Thursday night? Well The Bohicas, for one. They swarmed onto stage in full force and made sure that every member of the crowd would be leaving happy customers. By the time their Kings of Leon/ Strokes fuelled influences had powered through the eardrums, they had also made a lasting impression.

The Essex indie rockers took no time in throwing out hits from their debut album The Making Of. Starting with chant anthem worthy Where You At, with its catchy chorus and powerful instrumentals, it seemed only natural that the crowd’s reaction mirrored the outfit’s adrenaline infused furore. The crowd were bouncing and the dedication from centred fans showed exactly why this band are the hottest thing to happen to British indie rock since Arctic Monkeys.  Frontman, McGuinness took the rock ‘n’ roll lead to Samuel L Jackson proportions shouting ‘Y’ALRIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS?!’ and receiving an almighty roar in response. All this squeezed into just a handful of opening tracks meant only one thing; this band were going to smash this set straight out of the park.

With a wide brim fedora hat and leather waistcoat styled effortlessly by guitarist Dom Johns, the level of coolness oozed into the set as a whole. The smooth chords and tones ran through the band in their more chilled track Red Raw further on in the set, but the band were by no means running out of energy anytime soon as they concluded the track in an almighty roar of an instrumental. As members bounced off one another, McGuinness rolled into the fiery attitude of XXX showcasing sharp lyrics that pierce the tongue.

In concluding their short set, the lads finished on an high with their recent single Swarm, with protruding guitar solos and an excellent synced sting from every member there was no chance any aloe vera would cure this welcomed rock intrusion. The smiles on faces and supportive thumbs up showed that these guys truly appreciated every person in that room and are gathering fans with every stop on their tour. It won’t be too long before the Essex lads are back again to tear Liverpool apart and show everybody exactly what The Bohicas are truly about; memorable rock swagger.

Helen Rabbitt