Feelgood
Feelgood

Sundara Karma @ The Magnet, 04/11/15

Fresh from supporting The Wombats on a headline UK tour not all that long ago, Britain’s latest addition to the ever-growing indie pop scene Sundara Karma paid a visit to The Magnet, a stage they inhabited fairly recently. Bringing with them The Night Café and VITAMIN as support, the bill hugely outweighed the venue’s capacity – a fine exhibition of the UK’s latest indie wannabes.

The Night Café hit the stage first. Palm-muted picking and dreamy vocal harmonies on top, Addicted yearns for similarities to The Maccabees. For the smallest band on the bill, the set was particularly attention-grabbing, toe tapping and head bopping throughout.

Leeds-based VITAMIN were particularly well-suited for support, drawing in numbers with their Bastille-esque pop hooks and catchy guitars that complimented the fellow bands well. With a number of crowd members singing along to a handful of tunes already, VITAMIN’s future looks particularly bright in Liverpool. To Believe was a fine reflection of their growing reception nationwide – a song so damn catchy (and unashamedly funky), it’s obvious why they were recently chosen to headline Club NME in London.

With two fantastic bands already having powering through their sets, Sundara Karma were undeniably the best band of the night. Lead singer Oscar Pollock demonstrated the genuine swagger of a gig headliner like it was second nature to him, powerfully engaging with dozens of adoring fans throughout the show. Songs like Flame and Vivienne – a release with a new video – display the bands musical sensibilities and insight as to what makes a great song. It comes to no surprise that the likes of Radio 1 and NME have shown strong enthusiasm for their music. Perhaps a little uncomfortably relatable to Peace in both looks and musical affinities, the band however demonstrate no desire for comparison to others. Each song is so indescribably captivating, the audience giving them their full, undivided attention throughout the set.

It came as an unfortunate surprise when an aggressive disagreement between two crowd members broke out part way through the show. The Magnet being such an intimate venue, the band were clearly aware of the incident. Whilst distracted, they powered through, and came to preach a desire for everyone to have a good time – everything the adoring fans in front of them wanted, and their music clearly reflected.

Culminating their set with a full-on stage invasion, it’s evident to see that Sundara Karma are a band to be taken seriously. Selling out shows around the country, and with a tour in the works for early 2016, big things can be expected for them in the New Year.

Eddy Spofford and Luke Halls