Titus Andronicus @ The Kazimier, 12.11.15
Image Credit: Titusandronicus.net

Image Credit: Titusandronicus.net

The Kazimer was a perfect setting for the charismatic rock ensemble that is Titus Andronicus. The punk/ indie rock band from New Jersey felt like a mix between the Sex Pistols and Seasick Steve as well as having a fantastic stage presence. Support was from the Glaswegian band Washington Irving, a soft rock/ punk band with similarities to Mumford & Sons and The Maccabees in sound and style; with the Dr Martins being on point. Their newest single “We Are All Going to die” was my favourite of their short, but sweet set, and instituted a good atmosphere ahead of Titus Andronicus.

This was my first visit to The Kaz and I can see how it has the reputation it holds and deserves. The venue reminded me of Shakespeare’s globe and therefore suited Titus Andronicus perfectly. The band opened with a beautiful, slow serenade from lead vocalist, Patrick Stickles, which crescendoed into a punk orchestra. The drumming was particularly impressive from Eric Harm, especially in their song, “Dimed out”, which saw a lot of solo head-banging from the crowd, red stripes in hand; if only there was a mosh pit.

I loved the theatricality to their performance, songs were played back to back, creating a feeling of watching an act in a play, which is apt considering their recent fourth album, The Most Lamentable Tragedy, which has an impressive 29 tracks and costs £25, which Stickles joked “is 85p a track”. This 21st century punk band, were clearly confident in their music and style, shown in their success as Liverpool was one of many stops on their current European tour. Titus Andronicus knew how to entertain, in which the band preached punk to an already converted crowd; in the words of Patrick Stickles, “lets fucking rock”.

Words: Sophie Carter