New & Noteworthy
New & Noteworthy

Venus Demilo @ Studio 2, 26.11.15
Image Credit: Venus Demilo Facebook

Image Credit: Venus Demilo Facebook

After just a week since my last visit, I was back at Studio2 for another night of brilliant music, however this time the night featured four of the best up and coming bands from Liverpool.

The night opened with Aztex, a ‘surf-pop’ band whose music warmly welcomed many of the audience members as they made their way into the venue. Following this Indigo Moon brought a psychedelic musical aspect to the night. Their set flowed smoothly from one song to the next and the strong vocals complimented their experimental sound.

Next up were Wild Rossa and the ’88 and boy did they get the crowd moving. Having not heard the band live before I couldn’t believe they had only formed earlier this year. They draw on a variety of genres and together create a soulful, lyrically beautiful sound. And what can I say? The Saxophone solos were amazing.

Then it was the turn of Venus Demilo. First things first, this was the band’s first headline gig, but you wouldn’t have known. Having seen the band live around the Liverpool music scene a few times, from The Shipping Forecast last year to Constellations more recently, it’s clear to see they have finally found their sound and developed well as a band.

Speaking to the band before their set I could tell they were ready to give the performance of their lives, and that was made obvious after a few songs when they were faced with a broken drumstick situation. This gave the rest of the band time to practice their onstage ‘banter’ – something they noted they hadn’t perfected yet. An awkward silence could have ensued but guitarist Reuben energetically announced that lead singer Tom used to work at Hollister. Seemingly a random fact, but at the same time it showed that ultimately Venus Demilo are a group of guys having fun writing and playing music, something that’s obvious on and off stage as they gel so well together as a group.

The crowd as a whole were very responsive to the set. When the catchy tune of ‘Amsterdam’ broke out people immediately started dancing and singing along. The band’s first single ‘Sinking Ships’ also made an appearance after many months but was treated to a rocky revamp which fitted well with the atmosphere in the room.

Nearing the end of their set the band played ‘Sophia’, their new single. Songs like this show a deeper side to their lyric writing and again shows how the band aren’t afraid to try something new with their sound. So was their first headline gig a success? Well since the audience kept shouting for more I’d say it was. Ending with ‘Penniless’ the guys gave all they had and ended the gig on a high, and the energy from the band continued to flow around the room after as they headed round to talk to the crowd.

It’s so clear to see that the Liverpool music scene has some great bands to look out for in the future and I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in store for the bands next.

You can listen to our interview with Venus Demilo before their set here:

Laura Copestake
Laura Copestake is a student at the University of Liverpool.

Thundercat @ Invisible Wind Factory, Liverpool (24/3/17)
PREVIEW: FestEvol Gardens @ Invisible Wind Factory (30/4/17)
Pinata Carnival: Skinner’s Lane w/ Black Pulp & Native Kings @ Buyers Club (23/3/17)