RBMA presents: Credit to the Edit w/ Greg Wilson @ Buyers Club, 06/10/16
Photo Credit: http://uktour.redbullmusicacademy.com/events/credit-to-the-edit

Red Bull Music Academy’s arrival in Liverpool brought a series of diverse and enthralling events to the city, ranging from grime to electronic to the focus of this article: edits. Credit to the Edit was a night, curated by Greg Wilson, dedicated solely to DJs interested in edits of classic tracks, new and old, bringing ample opportunity to show the crowd of Buyers Club what disco really means. The venue had been fittingly decorated with a multitude of disco balls hanging from the ceiling and the crowd, sufficiently watered by the vodka red bulls, were already dancing away by the time we arrived.

The twenty minutes of Henry Greenwood’s set we heard set the vibe of what we were in for that night and when we heard the opening track of Wilson’s set, an edit of Michael Jackson’s Rock With You, we knew we were in for a treat. Throughout the night Wilson played a multitude of disco classics, from Michael Jackson to the original disco tune, Donna Summer’s I Feel Love. Every track edited perfectly to fit into the club environment. But in between the floor fillers Wilson showed us how intricately he knows the music he mixes, mixing in songs oozing with funk like Shack Up by Banbarra without the crowd noticing the song change until it was too late and the bassline had got their feet bouncing again. What other genre of music can create a vibe such as last night?

Greg Wilson’s technical skill really shone through with how smoothly he progressed from one song to another, from disco giant Todd Terje to some forgotten gem such as Music by One Way. Playing Todd Terje’s recent track Baby Do You Wanna Bump also shows that his record collection isn’t stuck in the past either. He is fully immersed in the scene, as shown by his selection of DJs for the night, not just by his track selection. Derek Kay, the DJ taking up the gauntlet once Wilson had stepped down, had some big boots to fill. But he soon settled in and ensured the party didn’t stop.

When Michael Jackson released Rock With You in 1979, I bet he didn’t expect it it to still be getting airplay three decades later in a small club across the pond in Liverpool. But that’s the beauty of what Greg Wilson and the edit movement he spearheaded do; they give new life to the most influential songs of the past and ensure we don’t forget about our musical history.

Check out our interview with Greg Wilson below where he discusses how the Liverpool nightlife has changed over his career, the condition of Britain’s clubbing scene and more:

Chris Cannell
Deputy Head of Music